Longest a pass has ever been thrown

Prower

Banned
Russian
Longest a pass has ever been thrown

I have just seen a title of an article on yahoo. I wonder what made them put the adjective on the first place and put the article a.

If this is the longest pass then why don't they use THE LONGEST? Or do you mean several longest passes? Then it is also not clear how there can be several the longest passes.

• sdgraham

USA English
    As has been said multiple times in this forum, headlines, subheads and titles are truncated to fit the space allocated and are not necessarily normal English.

Prower

Banned
    Russian
    It is the longest that a pass has ever been thrown. - Is everything fine with this sentnce?

So, there refers to the distance here?

It is the longest distance that a pass has ever been thrown.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It is the longest distance that a pass has ever been thrown.
    That was the initial "grammatically complete and correct" sentence that was turned into a :)eek:) headline.

If you know what a pass is, you will know that only distance would be referred to as long.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Perhaps my wording outgrabe?

The long (or short) adjective refers to the distance thrown - not, for example the time in the air. Of course you can therefore have a "long pass" or a "short pass" where the adjective describes the distance thrown.

A very high pass that goes 5 feet horizontally would be in the air for a long time. One that was thrown 150 feet into the air and came back down a foot from where it was sent might be the "pass that was in the air the longest" but that is not what the headline refers to; the word "longest" in it refers to distance.

< Previous | Next >