longest war

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
In this sentence I have found two mistakes:
1. were --> was
2. fought --> fight
"One of the longest wars in history were the Hundred Year War, fought between England and France in the fourteenth and fifteen centuries."
Is it correct?
Thanks.

• mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, Lixxeymac.
    One of the longest wars in history was the Hundred Year War, fought between England and France in the fourteenth and fifteen centuries."
    I can't find the subject in this sentence. Can you show me where it is? Can you rearrange it?
    Is it
    ""One of the longest wars in history was the Hundred Year's War which was fought between England and France in the fourteenth and fifteen centuries."

lizzeymac

English - USA
    I believe born in new york is correct BUT I am not a grammarian so I would wait for an expert to parse the sentence for you. That being said, I am as certain as I can be as a native speaker that "was" & "fought" are correct. This is what runs through my mind:

When was the Hundred Years' War fought?
    The Hundred Years' War was fought in the 14th & 15th centuries.
    The Hundred Years' War was one of the longest wars in history.

We will both wait for an expert opinion. ;-)

tphuong122002

Vietnamese Vietnam
    The subject of this sentence is "One of the longest wars in history".

"fought between England and France in the fourteenth and fifteen centuries" modifies "the Hundred Year War". This clause can be re-written as follows:

One of the longest wars in history was the Hundred Year War, [which was] fought between England and France in the fourteenth and fifteen centuries."

The subject of this sentence

tphuong122002

Vietnamese Vietnam
    Please ignore the last line in my reply ("The subject of this sentence"). It's just because I forgot to delete it before posting. :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    fought between England and France in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries is a participial phrase modifying Hundred Years' War.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Oh, elroy.
    They are two simple sentences and they connect each other by a participial phrase.
    A nice surprise! However, it is very interesting. Thanks.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Two simple sentences? No.

One simple sentence - one independent clause - with a participial phrase.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    What function of participle phrase is it, elroy? is it for reducing 2 simple sentences which have the same subject?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Not necessarily.

I guess you could say that the participial phrase in this sentence is a shortened version of a dependent clause beginning with which was, or an independent clause beginning with The Hundred Years' Year - but the subject of the two clauses is not the same. The subject of the main clause is one, not the Hundred Years' War, which is the predicate nominative.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    I understand, elroy.
    So tell me the function of the participle phrase of this sentence.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, elroy.
    I would like you to clarify it by rewriting this sentence without using participle phrase.
    Please!

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    One of the longest wars in history was the Hundred Years' War, which was fought between England and France in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.

or

One of the longest wars in history was the Hundred Years' War. It was fought between England and France in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, elroy.
    Would you tell me where the subject is? "one" or "the Hundred Year's War"?
    "One of the longest wars in history was the Hundred Years' War"

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, elroy.
    Why not "the Hundred Year's War"?
    --> The Hundred Year's War was one of the longest wars in history.

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    Original sentence:

"One of the longest wars in history was the Hundred Year War, fought between England and France in the fourteenth and fifteen centuries."
    Hi, elroy.
    Why not "the Hundred Year's War"?
    --> The Hundred Year's War was one of the longest wars in history.
    The way you presently have it written it is the subject, but in the original sentence "the Hundred Year War" is functioning as the predicate nominative. One is the simple subject. Of the longest wars modifies one. in history is a prepostional phrase modifying wars. Consequently, the full subject is One of the longest wars in history.

Orange Blossom

< Previous | Next >