look about me

< Previous | Next >

Gabriel Aparta

Español - Venezuela
Hello everyone, please, from David Copperfield:

'I'm a-going, Davy, you see, to my brother's, first, for another fortnight's visit—just till I have had time to look about me, and get to be something like myself again. Now, I have been thinking that perhaps, as they don't want you here at present, you might be let to go along with me.'

This is said by Peggotty, David's servant. David is a kid and his mom recently died. Peggotty is all he has left in this world. She has been fired by his terrible stepfather. They are both sad about David's mom passing. Please, what does the part in bold mean?

Thanks!

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Literally "look about me" means "look around me". Nothing more. But he is using it figuratively.

He says "just till I have had time to look about me, and get to be something like myself again."

I think he means "The way I will get back to normal is to spend some time interacting with a normal environment.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    She may need to mourn, and she will need to find a new job. That phrase is often used in 19th century writing to mean look around for a new job or position or opportunity.

< Previous | Next >