look after the children

< Previous | Next >

angeldelight

English
Hello....
I would like to say:

Today in modern society, it is completely acceptable for a man to stay at home and look after the children..

Aujourd’hui, il est complètement acceptable dans les sociétés modernes, pour un homme de rester à la maison et s’occuper des enfants.

Does this sound ok?
Merci!

• XPditif

français (France)
    fine
    but the group "dans les sociétés modernes" is more fluent at the end of the sentence
    or after aujourd'hui

ps:
    ...de rester à la maison et DE s'occuper des enfants...

Trendywendy_41

English
    Hi there,
    Just touching on this, If said man was look after naughty children, as opposed to a naughty child, would it be, Il s'occupe d'enfants méchants. Meaning he's looking after naughty children and not the naughty children? Which would be: Il s'occupe des enfants qui sont méchants?

Trendy

petit1

français - France
    il s'occupe d'enfants turbulents (indisciplinés)
    PS: "méchant" is very strong. When a child is being naughty, we say: "Tu es vilain (e).
    "méchant" is something like "wicked".

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    You are right :

"s'occupe d'enfants méchants" : we don't know those children, he's looking after some naughty children.
    "s'occupe des enfants méchants" : we have already spoken about those children, we know there are two kind of them, let say naughty ones and blue painted ones. He's looking after the naughty children (we have already spoken about).

Trendywendy_41

English
    Thank you petit1,
    I shall remember that when referring to my own little darlings :rolleyes:
    Thank you Michelvar, just wanted to confirm my understanding - you've helped.

Trendy

< Previous | Next >