look and feel (I.T.)

victoria1

Mauritius - English & French
Hello Forum

I have difficulty finding the right translation for this expression: it is not "interface"; it is not "le semblant" What is it?

The other day while reading a computer article I came across the term: "l'ergonométrie de l'écran". I felt as if I had hit the jackpot. But I want confirmation from a computer literate person.

Thank you for helping me in my quest for the exact expression.
Victoria
P.S the target language is French.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • bh7

Canada; English
    I guess you mean by "ergonométrie de l'écran" an efficient, attractive screen layout or design, a screen layout that takes into consideration how people see, read and comprehend things and how screen location of objects affects hand-mouse-eye coordination. I have difficulty with the word, however. It appears to be a neologism that hasn't yet found its way into any of my French or English dictionaries. It's likely to have therefore as many different meanings as there are readers. Perhaps "visual and psychological appeal" of a particular screen design or layout would describe what you have in mind without resorting to a wooly new term with Greek roots from which one might deduce the unintended meaning 'work measurement'.

victoria1

bh7: thanks for your input. As I said, I came across this expression in a French computer magazine. And I agree with you that in translation we ought to be a little bit conservative. I like "visual appeal" but the "look and feel" is a coined phrase saying exactly that.
    Hunternet: I prefer "attractivité"
    Thanks to both of you.

Cat'

Français
    In French, you say "convivialité" of HMI (the way you use the software must be pleasant),
    "ergonomie" of HMI speaks more about architecture of HMI but also the way you use it.
    But "ergonomie de l'écran" is more the look of device (screan), "agencement" isn't use in computer field.

hunternet

France - French
    Je souligne en passant qu'attractivité n'a pas d'existence officielle.

Oui, mais comme il existe un nombre incalculable de barbarismes informatiques comme "expérience utilisateur" ou "implémentation", que tout le monde comprend, celui-là devrait fonctionner aussi. :D

victoria1

Que diriez-vous de tout simplement laisser l'anglais tel quel? Le "look and feel" proposé par Sebb. Est-ce qu'un Français saurait de quoi il s'agit s'il tombe sur cette expression?

hunternet

France - French
    Que diriez-vous de tout simplement laisser l'anglais tel quel? Le "look and feel" proposé par Sebb. Est-ce qu'un Français saurait de quoi il s'agit s'il tombe sur cette expression?

Peu probable. Peut-être quelque chose comme "impression et apparence" ? "impression visuelle et personnelle" ? "ressenti" ? "plaisir visuel/des yeux et d'utilisation" ?

victoria1

Peu probable. Peut-être quelque chose comme "impression et apparence" ? "impression visuelle et personnelle" ? "ressenti" ? "plaisir visuel/des yeux et d'utilisation" ?

J'opte pour impression visuelle beaucoup plus neutre que "plaisir visuel" qui implique, à mon sens, une jouissance quelconque.

nic456

UK
    alemán
    Bonjour,

le grand dico propose
    aspect et la convivialité, :confused:

mais je peux seulement trouver des résultats avec "aspect et convivialité".

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    À ce sujet... un petit extrait du GDT (déjà mentionné... je le mets pour la deuxième solution)

Comme l'association des éléments visuels d'une interface graphique avec les fonctions du logiciel comporte une dimension mnémonique et vise normalement une plus grande convivialité pour l'utilisateur, on peut rendre look and feel par l'aspect ou l'apparence et la convivialité. On trouve même convivialité, employé seul, comme équivalent de la locution anglaise. Une expression voisine, l'aspect et le confort d'utilisation, a également été répertoriée, mais n'a pas été retenue comme synonyme, en raison de la fréquence moins élevée du terme confort d'utilisation par rapport à celui de convivialité.

Perso, je préfère convivialité à ressenti. Par contre, confort d'utilisation est ma foi... un peu long.

Last edited:

Salvatos

French - Québec
    L'apparence et... j'ai un blanc. Atmosphère ne me semble pas vraiment convenir à un site Web...
    Ça pourrait être l'impression laissée par le site, mais je crois que je vais laisser quelqu'un d'autre prendre le relais =/

Tarto

French - France
    Unfortunately, there is no perfect translation for that one.

You could say:
    - l'aspect visuel et la prise en main du site: this is perfectly fine, actually used and keeps the intended meaning, but it's a little long. You can replace "l'aspect visuel" with "le design", or just "l'aspect"
    - le look and feel du site: depends on the context and targeted audience. In the IT field, this English expression is often used as is (keep in mind that it's informal though, mostly used in conversation and stuff like emails). However, it will probably not be clear if it's for the general public
    - l'ergonomie du site: if you need something short and as close as you can get to the original meaning, this is the one I recommend
    - le design du site: not as good as "ergonomie" but still usable since in the IT world, it can include the "feel" aspect. Not necessarily though, so it's a little ambiguous

Gswiss

french
    Pourquoi pas la sensation tout simplement ? Il ne faut surtout pas laisser les informaticiens parler de français avec le charabia qu'ils nous ont laissé : supporter, implémentation, digital (pour numérique), etc. :)