Look (at yourself) in the mirror!!

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
Hi everyone,

"Your hair looks terrible. Look (at yourself) in the mirror!".

What's the most natural way to say that?? With our without the reflexive form "at yourself"??

Thanks in advance.

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hi everyone,

What's the most natural way to say that?? With our without the reflexive form "at yourself"??

Thanks in advance.
    I usually say:

--You look like a mess. Look at yourself! (pointing at the mirror)

Actually I tend to keep silent and laugh secretly:eek::D

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Thanks, Little Vegemite, but which one sounds better (with or without "at yourself")?? Both??

Sorry for insisting, but I opened this thread with that question and I still don't know the answer.

little_vegemite

english
    sorry! It's really either, I think 'look at yourself in the mirror' is more forceful/emphasising the other person, where as 'look in the mirror' is more like 'take a look for yourself if you don't believe me'. So if you really want to make the other person realise how messy,etc. their hair or whatever is use 'yourself', if not use the other. : )

guitarman

New Zealand English
    I think "look at yourself in the mirror" is acceptable english. English can be expressed in many ways. You could say it like this:

"You hair looks terrible. Take a look at yourself in the mirror." or "Your hair looks terrible. Take a look in the mirror".

Or perhaps as a question:

Have you had a looked at yourself in the mirror today? Your hair looks terrible.

little_vegemite

english
    I think "look at yourself in the mirror" is acceptable english. English can be expressed in many ways. You could say it like this:

"You hair looks terrible. Take a look at yourself in the mirror." or "Your hair looks terrible. Take a look in the mirror".

Or perhaps as a question:

Have you had a looked at yourself in the mirror today? Your hair looks terrible.
    If you wanted to be snide...just leave it as a question : )

Packard

USA, English
    "You might want to take a quick peek in the mirror."

"Why?"

"When was the last time you brushed your hair?"

"Oh, that. My boyfriend has a convertible."

"I am so jealous."

liliput

U.K. English
    Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
    If I was describing what someone is doing, and they are looking in a mirror, it might be necessary to specify what they are looking at; "She's looking at herself in the mirror." "He's looking at me in the mirror" "She looked at the reflection of the room in the mirror", but in the case of your imperative sentence we don't need to be so specific because the menaing is clear.
    Most naturally, probably without the reflexive pronoun because it's shorter but still conveys the same meaning. Because we've already mentioned your hair, it's obvious that you should look at yourself and not at something else, e.g. "I have "airhead" written backwards on my T-shirt, look in the mirror."
    On the other hand, perhaps it's better with the reflexive pronoun but without "in the mirror" because you would have to use a mirror anyway. "Your hair looks terrible, just look at yourself."
    Also, "look at it (your hair)".

< Previous | Next >