look like pressing

sergio_p

italian
Hi everybody,
I have to write an e-mail to a journal, about an article I've submitted some months ago, but I'm in doubt about this sentence:

I don't want to look like pressing you, but I will be asked to make a report about my activities shortly, and I would really need to know whether the article has been accepted or not.

Do you think it sounds correct? Is there a better way to express the same meaning?
Thanks in advance
Sergio

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I don't want to look like pressing you, ~I don't want to pressure you... (That is American English. I believe that British English may use pressurize instead.)

Compact OED:
    pressurize

(also pressurise)
    verb 1 produce or maintain raised pressure artificially in. 2 attempt to persuade or coerce into doing something.

Loob

English UK
    I'm intrigued by the previous answers.

For me, you'd need to repeat the pronoun: I don't want to look like I'm pressing you, or I don't want to look like I'm pressurising you.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I'm intrigued by the previous answers.

For me, you'd need to repeat the pronoun: I don't want to look like I'm pressing you, or I don't want to look like I'm pressurising you.
    The difference is that the previous posters left out the idea of "looking like". They suggested simply saying that he was reluctant to pressure the person he was writing to.

If sergio wants to stick to the original idea, I agree with you; it is necessary to repeat the pronoun.

sergio_p

italian
    Thanks to Loob and Cagey, too.
    Actually, I was looking for a polite way to formulate my request. Besides, I reckon my original phrase is a calque of an Italian one...

< Previous | Next >