Looking for a list of deponent verbs....

larshgf

Danish
Hi,

I am looking for a list of deponent verbs with information about whether the verb is transitive or intransitive.
I have looked for the information on the "Greek Language Portal" dictionary but apparently this dictionary has no statement aboit whether the verbs are transitive (μεταβατικός) or intransitive (αμετάβατος).

Best Regards
Lars Frederiksen

• larshgf

Danish
    Hi Acestor,
    Thank you. The verb I have in mind is σηκώνομαι. Example: When used in 3.prs sing. Like "Andreas rise at 7 o clock" - is Andreas the direct object?
    I would off course like to have a list of all deponent verbs and their trans/intrans status. The Oxford dictionary by Stravropoulos has this feature but when it comes to some passive verbs it is unclear (at least for me).

Acestor

Greek
    Strictly speaking, σηκώνομαι is not a deponent verb. It is most often the active transitive verb σηκώνω. Its middle-passive form σηκώνομαι has a reflexive sense, i.e. raise myself > rise, get up.

Perseas

Greek
    Just a comment on the term "αποθετικά" ρήματα:
    In Greek, these are the verbs which have only the passive voice (i.e. "έρχομαι" is "αποθετικό"; a form "*έρχω" doesn't exist). "σηκώνομαι" doesn't count as "αποθετικό" (as Acestor said), because its active form "σηκώνω" exists.
    Some of them are transitive and some others are intransitive.

larshgf

Danish
    Thank you for your comment and the link, which I appreciate very much too!
    So my sentence will be "Ο Αντρέας σηκώνεται στις εφτά."?

ioanell

Greek
    Of course, the core issue of the thread about “deponent verbs” has been fully covered by Acestor and Perseas.

"Andreas rise at 7 o clock" - is Andreas the direct object?
    Lars, I guess this is a slip of the “pen”. Andreas is not a (direct) object, but the subject of the sentence.

A little comment on “…σήμερα σηκώθηκα από τις έξι.” Many times this construction may mean that one gets up not at (the hour) sharp (as probably happens with the help of an alarm clock), say “στις έξι”, but it may mean some time around that, e.g. from 5.50΄ to 6.10΄, often implying that this happened exceptionally due to a special reason, e.g. insomnia.

< Previous | Next >