Looking for a proper term: a low wall alongside an embankment


Senior Member
Russian - Russia

Could you please help me and tell how these two types of barriers separating the water from the embankments in the pictures, especially in the first one are called?

My only ideas:
1) parapet
2) railing



Last edited:
  • mbfhh

    New Member
    I'd call the second one a balustrade for its appearance but I don't know about location. For the first, I'm tempted to say, "retaining wall," as it probably acts as a buffer for waves during storms.


    Senior Member
    English - South-East England
    The first would be a parapet if it was on a roof or a raised walkway. I looked at Google Images for 'low parapet' but it all seems to be about roof parapets. I'm not sure what I'd say if I was with someone and wanted to sit on the/this . . . wall? barrier? Wall seems to be the best I can think of.

    Railings, plural, or mbfhh's balustrade, for the second.