Looking for egg under the rooster

< Previous | Next >

suzi br

English / England
"looking fof egg under the rooster".
I just read this in another thread in here, seems to mean looking for things that are not there.
in silent demand

It is a great expression which I have never heard before.
Is it idiomatic in some parts of the English Speaking world? Or a translation of a saying from another country, or maybe the invention of the writer in the other thread?

I was just curious!

• boozer

Bulgarian
    I had never heard it either.
    If it was a direct translation from my language it would be "Looking for a calf under the ox" :)

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I love this idiom, but unfortunately it is not an idiom in English. Maybe it will catch on. It sounds like it would mean "expecting the impossible."

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Meritzias says he made it up, and that the original is "calf under a bull", similar to the one in Bulgarian from what Boozer says.

Original idiom in Turkish is "to look for a calf under a bull". I had to use it as I couldn't form a sentence to put it. Is there an idiom in English which has same meaning?
    Edit: Looks like he posted that just after you started this thread, Suzi.

Last edited:

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Someone else has used the idiom here (telepathy perhaps?):

NATHAN HARTER: Where have all the good guys gone

Which leads to my second point, namely that these females were looking for the good guys in pick-up bars. “Helloooo!” What makes you think that’s where they go? Looking for a good guy in most of these joints is like looking for an egg under a rooster. Whatever you find under there, it ain’t what you said that you wanted.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Thanks - I thought is was a great expression, and with either set of animals it is easy to understand.

I don't think we have any sort of equivalent for that meaning in English, so maybe it will spread!

suzi br

English / England
    Meritzias says he made it up, and that the original is "calf under a bull", similar to the one in Bulgarian from what Boozer says.

Edit: Looks like he posted that just after you started this thread, Suzi.
    Yes - I saw that later! I thought I'd better start another thread, as it would have been off topic in the original one!

< Previous | Next >