looking for global immune activation

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
"looking for global immune activation" or "looked for global immune activation"?

What is the grammatical function of "looking for global immune activation"?

I—along with my thesis committee members and adviser—wondered whether my results could be due to contamination from the bacterial system I used to produce the protein. After all, it seemed logical that a fragment of a pathogen, not our protein, could be what triggered the immune cells. However, I was soon reassured. I tested for contamination, looking for global immune activation, and everything looked clean.

Source: Science By Gohar ManzarAug. 1, 2019
My science seemed to tell a clear story—until I took a closer look

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I tested for contamination, looking for global immune activation, and everything looked clean.
    looking for global immune activation is a participle phrase acting adverbially. It is in parentheses as it is supplementary information, i.e. non-defining - the phrase can be omitted without loss of meaning.

The present participle conveys the idea of the process taking place, and although it does not matter to the result, it explains why he was testing.

Chasint

English - England
    I tested for contamination, (with the purpose of) looking for global immune activation.

< Previous | Next >