Looks like your cat when eating the plant was looking for a

< Previous | Next >

danusia

Polish
A friend wrote me that her cat got sick. It likes to munch on a certain plant in her yard and she suspects that the plant is poisonous.
I know that the plant is not toxic, to the contrary, it has medicinal properties. So I am going to write to her:
"Looks like your cat when eating the plant was looking for a cure."
Should I rather write:
"Looks like your cat when eating the plant has been looking for a cure."
Or may be:
"Looks like your cat when eating the plant had been looking for a cure."
Please, don't ask me which tense I consider the best to use because I don't now, I am confused. I can only say that if I didn't get any better advice I would use simple past. Thanks for your help.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Looks like your cat found this plant while looking for a cure.

Just a suggestion. While the cat was eating it was... only eating, not looking for anything. :)

danusia

Polish
    Thank you. You are absolutely right. When concentrating on the tense I should use I forgot about everything else. Thanks.
    Supposing though the logic in the sentence is correct, which tense should I use?

Copyright

American English
    A friend wrote me that her cat got sick. It likes to munch on a certain plant in her yard and she suspects that the plant is poisonous.
    I know that the plant is not toxic, to the contrary, it has medicinal properties.
    In order, I would 1) allay her fears, 2) tell her the plant is not poisonous, 3) explain her cat to the extent that cats are explainable:

Don't worry, the plant is medicinal -- it looks like your cat was looking for a cure.

< Previous | Next >