Loom and lurk

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
Hi

I'm wondering what does "loom and lurk" mean here. I know the meaning of the words but I don't know if it is an idiom or not.

“ Trump looms and lurks on a debate stage, so Philippe did too, always hanging out on the edge of my peripheral vision.”

Source: Hillary Rodham Clinton. “What Happened.”

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I'm not sure if this is literal or metaphoric, but it is not idiom.
    It sounds like behaviour on a debate stage where participants are free to move around.
    In that context, to 'loom' would be to stand close to, and overlooking, one's opponent; the intent being to intimidate by close proximity.
    To 'lurk' would be a rather less-apparent version of almost the same behaviour; the intent being to intimidate by keeping on the move?

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
    sorry, it became a little more confusing. you mean sometimes he closes to her and sometimes he keep a distance from her?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    sorry, it became a little more confusing. you mean sometimes he closes to her and sometimes he keep a distance from her?
    Yes, that's what I mean.
    When he's close to her, he is oppressing by his looming presence.
    When he is at a distance, he is oppressing by the uncertainty about where he is and the knowledge that he is out there somewhere.

Imagine a bird and a cat.
    The bird is feeding.

The cat is getting close to the bird, and the bird is aware of exactly where the cat is. The cat is looming.

The cat is farther from the bird, moving from one position of concealment to another. The bird is not sure where the cat is, right now, but knows that the cat is there somewhere, watching. The cat is lurking.

andrewg927

English - American
    Hi

I'm wondering what does "loom and lurk" mean here. I know the meaning of the words but I don't know if it is an idiom or not.

“ Trump looms and lurks on a debate stage, so Philippe did too, always hanging out on the edge of my peripheral vision.”

Source: Hillary Rodham Clinton. “What Happened.”
    It means literally he was looming behind her on stage during the second presidential debate. She talked about it a couple times in interviews.

< Previous | Next >