looming

< Previous | Next >

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
I heard a looming news that John is going to leave our company.

Can I use "looming" like that in my context? Thank you.

• jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Hello jokaec, no. "Looming" means coming along or approaching, in a frightening or threatening way. What sort of news do you mean here?
    Thank you, Enquiring.
    I meant an uncertain or unclear news. If I can't call it "looming", what can I call it?

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    It it's uncertain, it's not really "news". "I heard a (AE) rumor / (BE) rumour that ... "

By the way, "news" is uncountable, so we can't say "a news" :cross:. "A report", "a piece of news", "an item of news".

We can also say "I heard it on the grapevine that ...", or simply "I heard that ..."

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    It it's uncertain, it's not really "news". "I heard a (AE) rumor / (BE) rumour that ... "

By the way, "news" is uncountable, so we can't say "a news" :cross:. "A report", "a piece of news", "an item of news".

We can also say "I heard it on the grapevine that ...", or simply "I heard that ..."
    :thumbsup:

Are you perhaps confusing "a looming" with the adjective alarming?

I heard the alarming news that John is going to leave the company.
    We received alarming news from our office in Pompeii; it seems that Mount Vesuvius is erupting again.

This does not mean "unclear", of course, but rather "frightening; upsetting".

< Previous | Next >