los celos de María (possessive)

bluetree

Spanish
Dear all,

I´d like to know if this possessive is used correctly. Maria´s jealous. The idea in Spanish is to say "los celos de Maria".Thanks in advance.

• Biffo

English - England
    No - In English "Maria´s jealous" means "Maria is jealous"

Please give a complete sentence in Spanish that includes the phrase
    "los celos de Maria"

bluetree

Spanish
    OK. The Spanish sentence is: Teníamos una hermosa amistad que se rompió por los celos de María. I had written We had a lovely friendship that came apart because of Maria´s jealous.

Chris K

English / US
    OK. The Spanish sentence is: Teníamos una hermosa amistad que se rompió por los celos de María. I had written We had a lovely friendship that came apart because of Maria´s jealous.
    We had a lovely friendship that came apart [or "broke up," "fell apart," etc.] because of Maria´s jealousy.

bluetree

Spanish
    Thanks a lot!!! Sometimes I´m not sure whether or not I can use the possessives with peolple. Could you please tell me when it´s not allowed to use the possessive with people? THANKS.

Chris K

English / US
    Thanks a lot!!! Sometimes I´m not sure whether or not I can use the possessives with peolple. Could you please tell me when it´s not allowed to use the possessive with people? THANKS.
    It's usually not a problem. Can you give me an example of where you think it can't be used?

< Previous | Next >