los plomos / la luz

AngelGray

Spain-Spanish.
Hello, como se dice: "han saltado los plomos" o "se ha ido la luz" ?
Estaba hablando con un proveedor inglés y justo se ha ido la luz ¡durante 20 minutos! tengo q volver a llamarle y me gustaría explicárselo, gracias!!

Un saludo pa tod@s.

Angel

• mexicomida

english
    Yeah, you would just say-

"We had a fuse blow" or "A fuse blew" or "We blew a fuse." ¡Ojo! "blew a fuse" as in "he blew a fuse" could also be interpreted as "he went crazy/psycho" but in this context there isn´t really room for misinterpretation so you should be okay.

Good luck in Chicago--I guess we´re sort of trading places then; I´m going to Salamanca to study for the summer. Cya!

AngelGray

Spain-Spanish.
    ok, thanks again, that´s the way i used it.
    Well im gonna stay in Chicago for one year, so who knows? Salamanca University is nice, one of the best here, but if you wanna have fun to, you should come to Sevilla, Granada, or Málaga. Universtiy, students, sun and beach close.jeje.
    Que te vaya todo muy bien, ya verás como te gusta España,

ciao!

duvija

Spanish - Uruguay
    ok, thanks again, that´s the way i used it.
    Well im gonna stay in Chicago for one year, so who knows? Salamanca University is nice, one of the best here, but if you wanna have fun to, you should come to Sevilla, Granada, or Málaga. Universtiy, students, sun and beach close.jeje.
    Que te vaya todo muy bien, ya verás como te gusta España,

ciao!

Welcome to Chicago. The fuses don't blow here. At least, not too much.

cirrus

UK English
    Would not it be in this case "The lights went down" ?? Why not?
    The lights went down is quite not the same thing as se fue la luz. If there is a power cut all the electricity goes off for example if there is a storm and power lines get cut by lightning or trees falling.

Turning the lights down to my mind is something else. In a cinema just before they start showing the film, the lights go down - it doesn't mean the power has gone off, there's still electricity available.

Oh and by the way we don't say "Thanks beforehand" in English.

Vassili Z

Spanish (Spain)
    The lights went down is quite not the same thing as se fue la luz. If there is a power cut all the electricity goes off for example if there is a storm and power lines get cut by lightning or trees falling.

Turning the lights down to my mind is something else. In a cinema just before they start showing the film, the lights go down - it doesn't mean the power has gone off, there's still electricity available.

Oh and by the way we don't say "Thanks beforehand" in English.
    Thanks Cirrus! And then... when do the lights/power go out?

Thanks,
    V.

< Previous | Next >