Lose brownie points

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

Context: When somebody does something good or helpful, you say (in American or British English) that they scored brownie points from somebody else (= won praise, approval, credit). My question: does "lose brownie points" (= lose credit, praise, approval) - when you do something bad or wrong - sound natural/correct in the examples I made below?

a. John, you were rude and lost brownie points with me.
b. Don't say that or you'll lose brownie points with this girl.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
  • cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    "To score brownie points" is a phrase often used with at least a modicum of disdain on the part of the speaker. You can't "score brownie points" from a person who is an equal or of lower status than yourself. I can't imagine saying either of your sentences to a friend.
    But there is some disagreement about this analysis. See this thread.

Myridon

English - US
    You can't "score brownie points" from a person who is an equal or of lower status than yourself.
    :thumbsup: Phrase origin: Little girls who are Brownies (a Girl Scouts/Girl Guides program for younger girls (about 10 years old I think)) earned Brownie points from their adult leader.

Thank you for your answers.

So, if I use "lose brownie points" in reference to somebody of higher status than me, it sounds correct? Right?

Examples I made:

a. John, you were rude and lost brownie points with the boss.
    b. Don't say that or you'll lose brownie points with your teacher.

P.S.: I still don't know if "lose brownie points" could be used at all.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    I usually hear people gaining brownie points. I cannot recall it used in the negative.

This Wiki article gives more information about brownie points:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_points

Brownie points in modern usage are a hypothetical social currency, which can be acquired by doing good deeds or earning favor in the eyes of another, often one's superior.

< Previous | Next >