1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

[loser?] by default

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Euphoria., Sep 7, 2014.

1. Euphoria. Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Hello everyone

If I am not mistaken, we can say "win by default" and "default winner". Can we also say "lose by default", "loser by default" or "default loser"?

Thank you.

2. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    Could you please provide us with a sentence?

3. Euphoria. Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    If you refuse to play, you will lose by default.
    If you refuse to play, you are a default loser.
    If you refuse to play, you are a loser by default.

I am not sure about the last two.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  4. Euphoria. Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    I have one more question though. Can we say "The life had never been good to him. He was a loser by default."? Does it make sense?

5. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    The phrase default loser I find somewhat strange (perhaps because I have not heard it before). The other two phrases are fine. But we say refuse, not reject (which is not followed by an infinitive).

In your sentence in #4 I don't think I would say a loser by default, since I associate this phrase with someone who fails to play a game. When you say that life has been good to someone, you are not normally talking about games. Instead we have expressions like He was a born loser.

So if you talked about a loser by default here, I would ask you what you meant. It means to me that someone has defaulted on a game.

I hope that helps.

PS If you look up default in the forum dictionary, you will see a number of discussion of phrases using this word. I suggest that you look at those listed by default. For example, http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=564347.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  6. Euphoria. Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Thank you e2efour! Actually the verb on my mind was "to refuse". Sorry for the mistake.

We can say "default winner" right?

She refused to play and as a result I was a default winner. Does it make sense?

7. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    I find it more natural to say the winner by default or I won by default.

It makes sense to say default winner, but I don't think that it is very common. The only place I could find it was in Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary. There is no example in the corpuses (BNC, COCA), although there are a few examples in Google Books.

8. Euphoria. Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Thank you very much. :)