loses some of its poignancy

liliwangwang

Chinese
Absence is less painful with the Internet and telephone, but it also loses some of its poignancy; moreover, e-mails are seldom composed as carefully as letters, since the very slowness with which a letter makes its way to its destination prompts us to put more of our feelings into the words.
---- Hiding Behind the Screen
by Roger Scruton

I know the meaning of the word "Poignancy", which is the quality that something has when it affects you deeply and makes you feel very sad.
But how should I understand it here, somehow, it suggests a unique and beautiful feeling caused by absence?

Thank you for your attention!

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    But how should I understand it here, somehow, it suggests a unique and beautiful feeling caused by absence?
    That seems like a reasonable interpretation of poignancy as it is used in the sentence. However, I'm not sure that there is any beauty in the word, liliwangwang, beyond its fancy French sound. I mostly regard it as a literary way of saying sadness. In this passage, the author seems to mean something like emotional urgency or depth of feeling.

Who wrote that sentence? Where did you find it? Please remember to post something about the source of this sentence. Thank you.

liliwangwang

Chinese
    Thank you for your reminding.
    I just added the source of this sentence.
    IT'S an article written by a sociologist talking about how internet changed the human relationship.
    Again, thank you for your explanation, I can relate to "depth of feeling", which seems right.
    but would you mind explaining more about "emotional urgency"?

That seems like a reasonable interpretation of poignancy as it is used in the sentence. However, I'm not sure that there is any beauty in the word, liliwangwang, beyond its fancy French sound. I mostly regard it as a literary way of saying sadness. In this passage, the author seems to mean something like emotional urgency or depth of feeling.

Who wrote that sentence? Where did you find it? Please remember to post something about the source of this sentence. Thank you.

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you for the source, liliwangwang. If something is emotionally urgent, somebody has a strong feeling about something and a strong desire to relieve the distress caused by that emotion.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >