Losing both

< Previous | Next >

Dr.Appalayya

India;Telugu
One person resigned his public service job and contested in an election to legislature. He lost the election. He lost both.

What is an idomatic expression for the state of such loser?

He.......

• MissFit

I might call him a two-time loser or a double loser. He has been twice-beaten or twice-defeated. (Those last two hyphens are optional.) I'm not sure these are really idioms. One trite phrase that fits is that he found himself "up a creek without a paddle." (A canoe reference.) Since he has lost two jobs, you could give it a clever twist and say that he was "up a creek having lost both paddles." A canoe usually has two occupants and two paddles.

By the way, contested is not the right word for participating in an election as a candidate. You could say that he ran for public office or he was a candidate for the legislature.

or he campaigned for public office.

Contested sounds OK to me. Not really common, but it sounds OK. I can't think of the usage though. Like he contested for legislature maybe.....I know I've heard it used......
    And I agree with missFit. Those are what I would use.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello Dr. A,

Jobless!

The only idiomatic expression I know for a person who has forsaken one opportunity in order to seek, and fail to attain, something else is rather rude. I suggest you avoid it, or its more pungent variations, in any written or formal setting.

Doubly screwed.

JamesM

Although it's not an idiomatic expression, per se, we might speak about this in terms of gambling: "He gave up a sure thing to gamble on a long shot and lost. Now he has nothing."

< Previous | Next >