lost 5% of the turnover

< Previous | Next >

tigerduck

German / Switzerland
Hello

Part of the course I teach is Business English (not a strong point of mine). I am currently marking dialogues. The topic was a meeting.

Can you tell me if the two sentences in italics are correct?

This was the task:
Polite response. (5% / most product areas / especially oil processing / also due to sale of Anglo, UK subsidiary)

Most product areas, especially oil processing, lost 5% of the turnover.

Thanks.

• DavyBCN

UK - English
    tigerduck said:
    Hello

Part of the course I teach is Business English (not a strong point of mine). I am currently marking dialogues. The topic was a meeting.

This was the task:
    Polite response. (5% / most product areas / especially oil processing / also due to sale of Anglo, UK subsidiary)

Thanks.
    their turnover.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    tigerduck said:

This was the task:

Hiya tigerduck.
    I'm confused. — Can you spot the cause of my confusion? :D
    Where is the second italicised sentence?

tigerduck

German / Switzerland
    maxiogee said:
    Hiya tigerduck.
    I'm confused. — Can you spot the cause of my confusion? :D
    Where is the second italicised sentence?
    Sorry ;) - here they are again:

Most product areas, especially oil processing, lost 5% of the turnover. This is also due to the sale of Anglo, our UK subsidiary.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    tigerduck said:
    Sorry ;) - here they are again:

Most product areas, especially oil processing, lost 5% of the turnover. This is also due to the sale of Anglo, our UK subsidiary.
    As panjandrum says, the turnover wasn't their's - it may have been anticipated, but it hasn't been 'lost'.
    Also - 5% is 5%. If most product areas 'lost' this volume then one cannot say "especially oil processing".

Has the fall in turnover been ascribed to other causes earlier in the text? If not then the "also" needs to be deleted from the second sentence. If the sale of Anglo is only one of several factors in the fall then I would say "in part"

Turnover in most product areas fell - especially in oil processing - by as much as 5%. This is in part due to the sale of our UK subsidiary, Anglo.

< Previous | Next >