lost sleepiness

< Previous | Next >

zhonglin

Mandarin
Hi,

Can I ask if this sentence is grammatically correct/sounds okay? Is there a better way to say it

"I lost my sleepiness when they suddenly came"

Please help. Thank you.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Are you asking about the phrase "lost my sleepiness," zhonglin? Please clarify your question, and provide some context for your sentence. What are you trying to say?

zhonglin

Mandarin
    Yes I'm asking about " "lost my sleepiness," .. let's say you're very sleepy and your sleepiness suddenly went away.. is this phrase correct? or is there any better way to say it?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    We don't usually say it that way, Zhonglin. The usual phrase would be something like "I woke up when they came," or "I was suddenly wide awake when they came." However, "I lost my sleepiness" is not grammatically incorrect. It would be a bit unusual, but I like it. It would be a novel way to express the thought.

zhonglin

Mandarin
    Thanks for all the help, what if the case is that, I'm not asleep, it's just that I'm too sleepy.. is this still applicable -> I woke up when they suddenly showed up(dropped by).

Johnny519

Mandarin
    OK, please clarify your context, it would be wrong to say that(my previous proposition) if you were just sleepy, but you felt alive when they came. If you wanted to say they disturbed you when you were sleeping or taking a nap, you could say it.

Last edited:

zhonglin

Mandarin
    Thanks again for your help, I think i need to change my context to see if it helps... " I lost my sleepiness when I saw my crush" , is there a better way to say this?

Packard

USA, English
    I don't think you lose your sleepiness" but rather gain alertness or suddenly feel wide awake.

< Previous | Next >