Lout / Hooligan / Hoodlum / Gangster

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
I am looking for a noun for a person who is rude, violent, noisy and often impolite person who frequently causes problem by fighting etc.
I guess this can be Lout or Hooligan (or yob / yobbo in British)
Meanwhile I do not think hoodlum and gangster cannot be categorized with lout and Hooligan in the same group. I think hoodlum and gangster is more a criminal person who is violent and does illegal actions.
Is it right?
Resource: http://www.ldoceonline.com

Last edited:
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think you're right. A gangster is involved in organised crime, and I would say the same for "hoodlum", especially at the time of Al Capone. I think "hoodlum" isn't used so much today.

ewie

English English
    I'd call that person a yob or a lout, A-friend:thumbsup:

Hooligan is now so thoroughly associated with football in the UK, that I'd only use the term for that particular type of yob.

:thumbsup:Hoodlums and gangsters are (petty) criminal yobs ~ no matter what Hollywood might do to try and glamourize them.

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    'Thug' could also be used and is internationally understood. There are any number of local variations (each city probably has its own version) but using them will often confuse readers unfamiliar with the terms.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    'Thug' could also be used and is internationally understood. There are any number of local variations (each city probably has its own version) but using them will often confuse readers unfamiliar with the terms.

Dear Pickarooney
    According to the explanation in the following link, "Thug" just means a violent man!
    http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/thug
    so it does not meet the characteristics in my question; I mentioned that "I am looking for a noun for a person who is rude, violent, noisy and often impolite person who frequently causes problem by fighting etc."
    So what is your idea? taking this definition into consideration, the word "Thug" can work here? :)

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    I did originally consider mentioning thug but in the end discarded it on the grounds that to me it only means 'violent man/person'. (I don't think we should assume that all thugs are male ...:cool:)

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    Dear Pickarooney According to the explanation in the following link, "Thug" just means a violent man! http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/thug so it does not meet the characteristics in my question; I mentioned that "I am looking for a noun for a person who is rude, violent, noisy and often impolite person who frequently causes problem by fighting etc." So what is your idea? taking this definition into consideration, the word "Thug" can work here? :)
    Given that the person is question is prone to violence the other characteristics follow so I still think it fits. You might try 'scumbag' but it might not have the same meaning everywhere.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    I did originally consider mentioning thug but in the end discarded it on the grounds that to me it only means 'violent man/person'. (I don't think we should assume that all thugs are male ...:cool:)

So you believe that at least for you as a native, the word "thug", can contain all of the mentioned characteristics;
    I mean (Rudeness, violence, noisiness and at last impoliteness.) Is it right? :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I can only comment as a BE speaker.
    "Thug" to me suggests a hardened criminal. A "lout" isn't necessarily engaged in criminal activity, more the sort of anti-social behaviour you mention and often associated with drinking to excess (a lager lout). "Yob" suggests an adolescent of the working class, with similar behaviour. You wouldn't talk about a "public-school yob".

Personally I think "lout" might be the word you are looking for.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    I can only comment as a BE speaker.
    "Thug" to me suggests a hardened criminal. A "lout" isn't necessarily engaged in criminal activity, more the sort of anti-social behaviour you mention and often associated with drinking to excess (a lager lout). "Yob" suggests an adolescent of the working class, with similar behaviour. You wouldn't talk about a "public-school yob".

Personally I think "lout" might be the word you are looking for.

I do agree with you! I guess the indicate different concepts! My dictionary confirms it so :)