Love and death proverbs

< Previous | Next >

ABlackwoodArticle

English/USA
Ciao! I am writing a novel, and I wish to include italian proverbs, particularly about love and death. For example:

Quella destinata perte, nessuno la prendera.

or

La morte mi trovera vivo.

But I do not speak Italian and thus I ask anyones help.

Please keep responses in English. Grazie!

• Alberto77

Italian - Italy
    Ciao! I am writing a novel, and I wish to include italian proverbs, particularly about love and death. For example:

Quella destinata perte, nessuno la prendera.??? it's not italian, maybe "quella destinata parte, nessuno la prenderà", but doesn't make much sense in italian...

or

La morte mi troverà vivo.

ABlackwoodArticle

English/USA
    I grabbed that quote from wikiquote, so I didn't know if it was necessarily correct. The translation provided said it meant No one will take the one who is destined for you. I have tried to translate a few of my own:

La notte abbracciare me in solitudine.
    (The night embraces me in solitude)
    And

E così vado nella polvere.
    (And so I go into the dust).

Thanks for the help/advice. Grazie mille!

Luthien12

Italian, Italy
    No one will take the one who is destined for you = nessuno prenderà quella/o, destinato a te ( a little more context could help)

The night embraces me in solitude = La notte mi abbraccia in /nella solitudine

The last one is correct!

Jamila

Italian

Quella destinata per te, nessuno la prenderà. It should be quella destinata a te nessuno la prenderà

or

La morte mi troverà vivo.

Raphillon

Italy
    I grabbed that quote from wikiquote, so I didn't know if it was necessarily correct. The translation provided said it meant No one will take the one who is destined for you. I have tried to translate a few of my own:

La notte abbracciare me in solitudine. (La notte mi abbraccia in solitudine)
    (The night embraces me in solitude)
    And

E così vado nella polvere.
    (And so I go into the dust). (E così io ritorno alla polvere)

Thanks for the help/advice. Grazie mille!
    "Nessuno prenderà quella destinata a te" would be a little more correct but "quella" is meaningless if not tied to a precedent word...

Some more:
    Polvere sei e polvere ritornerai
    (You are dust and you will go back in dust)

La morte è una livella
    (Death is a flusher) (This means "no matter how high you went in life: when you die you are grounded like anybody else)

I hope it will help

ElaineG

USA/English
    La morte è una livella
    (Death is a flusher)
    I'd say "death is a leveller." Flusher makes it sound like death is a toilet, which maybe it is, but... :)

Great to see you, Raph, we've missed you very much.

Raphillon

Italy
    I'd say "death is a leveller." Flusher makes it sound like death is a toilet, which maybe it is, but... :)

Great to see you, Raph, we've missed you very much.
    Well... I must say I wasn't very sure abut this... Thanks, Elaine.

I've missed you all very much too :)

ABlackwoodArticle

English/USA
    Thanks everyone for responding. I've got a few more I tried to translate myself but I do not know if I got them right or not.

I will post them as I find where I wrote them down...

Grazie Mille!

Crash32

Italy
    I have to transalate "I love you to death" said from a kid to his father.
    Literally I'd say "Ti voglio bene da morire", but I was wondering if it's a common saying in English, and so if it should sound a bit less strong.

CPA

British English/Italian - bilingual
    I have to transalate "I love you to death" said from a kid to his father.
    Literally I'd say "Ti voglio bene da morire", but I was wondering if it's a common saying in English, and so if it should sound a bit less strong.
    "I love you to death" mi suona un po' forte e piuttosto strano, detto da un bambino al padre. Bene invece "ti voglio bene da morire". ;)

< Previous | Next >