love/like/hate + gerund/infinitive

maloga

spanish
use of ing
Hi everybody!
My english teachers said that after a few verbs like "love", "like" and "hate" we ALWAYS have to write the verb ending ing, but I have seen so many times the infinitive form after these verbs, so I´m a little confused.
For example:
I love to spend the evening with my friends
I love spending the evening with my firends.

In this case it sounds more natural to me the first one, but I don´t know.
Are there any diffences? When do I use each one? Are there any diffence between AE and BE?
Thank you very much!!

• jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    All grammar books agree that the verbs hate, love, and like can be followed by either the infinitive or the gerund with no or little change in meaning. In your examples, though, I see a difference (although this may be personal and I could be wacky):

I love to spend the evening with my friends.
    I love the idea/the concept of spending the evening/evenings with my friends, but it doesn't mean that I do that often.

I love spending the evening with my friends.
    Now I'm often see in their company.

I could be ready to be institutionalized, though. Let's see what saner people can say about it.

dicomec

USA
    I think jazyk is exactly right. I love to spend the evening or I love spending the evening, etc.

ajfoucault

Venezuela - Spanish & English
    My recomendation.
    In those cases ALWAYS use the web as a reference, because your teacher may be wrong and he may not know it.

Check this website:
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/627/04/

And check the charts with these headlines:
    Verbs that take only infinitives as verbal direct objects

Verbs that take only gerunds as verbal direct objects

Verbs that take gerunds or infinitives as verbal direct objects

And you'll see that you can use EITHER Infinitive or Gerunds as Direct Objects with those verbs (like, love, hate)

Hope I could help =).

dicomec

USA
    I say "I hate to spend time" "I hate to waste my time" as often as I might say, "I hate spending time." Creo que son formas a elección. :)

Fer.S

Spanish
    My recomendation.
    In those cases ALWAYS use the web as a reference, because your teacher may be wrong and he may not know it.
    [...]
    According with I've been cheking (M. Vince and M. Swan grammar books) this is an appropriate answer. Thanks

< Previous | Next >