Love Machine

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
Hi Group,

What does "Love Machine" mean? and Native-English-Speakers said some expressions in English like "Get out of here you love machine" or "Johnny The Love Machine" Is this expression consider to be rude or just to make fun of someone?

• te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Antonio said:
    Hi Group,

What does "Love Machine" mean? and Native-English-Speakers said some expressions in English like "Get out of here you love machine" or "Johnny The Love Machine" Is this expression consider to be rude or just to make fun of someone?
    Hello Antonio;
    It depends on how it is being said..the tone of voice used..and who it is being said to..
    Usually when you call someone a love machine you are describing a "big/good Lover" .. at times they have more than one lover..:eek:
    Most of the time it is said as a joke....

te gato;)

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    "Love Machine" could be the same thing as "Ladykiller" I mean, when you make fun of someone or when you're teasing someone? or that doesn't necessary apply in this particular context.

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Antonio said:
    "Love Machine" could be the same thing as "Ladykiller" I mean, when you make fun of someone or when you're teasing someone? or that doesn't necessary apply in this particular context.
    Yes in my opinion they can be used for the samething..when you are teasing someone...
    "Bill, you are such a love machine"
    "Bill, you are such a ladykiller"

At times they are used when the person tries to "pick up" a person of the opposite sex and fails...

te gato;)

Sharon

United States, English
    Antonio,

It might help to remember that a machine never gets tired, never stops to eat, never wants to take a nap, never watches football, and never has a headache !! :D

Sharon.:)

badger

Ireland, English speaker
    Sharon said:
    Antonio,

It might help to remember that a machine never gets tired, never stops to eat, never wants to take a nap, never watches football, and never has a headache !! :D

Hi Sharon.

Very good. :thumbsup:

And they normally stay in one place, they don't wander off. :D

badger. :)

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Sharon said:
    Antonio,

Yes!! Lood, apparently "love machines" wear these:

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Definition
    lady-killer noun [C] OLD-FASHIONED
    a sexually attractive man who has sexual relationships with many women

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

badger

Ireland, English speaker
    Antonio said:
    So, "Love Machine" is a synonym of a "Ladykiller" these days, right? Which is more common nowadays?
    Something that might be worth noting.

I don't know any heterosexual men that would be inclined to describe another man as a love machine. :eek:

Other than that I'll leave the rest of the answering to the ladies.

badger. :)

Sharon

United States, English
    Antonio,

A woman could also be described as a "love machine." It is not just a "male" reference. It would probably be used more often to describe a man, but that is where the double standard in society comes into play. A man that has sex with a lot of women is a "stud," someone many other men may look up to, and aspire to be. A woman who has sex with a lot of other men...well, they have not so nice names for her. :eek:

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Sharon said:
    Antonio,

A woman could also be described as a "love machine." It is not just a "male" reference. It would probably be used more often to describe a man, but that is where the double standard in society comes into play. A man that has sex with a lot of women is a "stud," someone many other men may look up to, and aspire to be. A woman who has sex with a lot of other men...well, they have not so nice names for her. :eek:

Right Sharon....... :(

I also heard in some song...."I'm a love machine gun"... :rolleyes:

Sharon

United States, English
    Artrella said:
    I also heard in some song...."I'm a love machine gun"... :rolleyes:
    :eek: That doesn't sound like any fun at all !!

Hopefully he's "shooting blanks" :warn: (Hee, hee, hee....I am howling with laughter!!) :p

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    Sharon, if you call someone a "Love Machine" is consider to be rude? or it depends on the tone of your voice, I mean when you say it? Yeah, I don't know why, the studs or the playboy's are the heroes among people specially man, and woman that do that, are the villains, can you please explain to me, why is that wrong with woman?

Sharon

United States, English
    Antonio,

These are two very separate questions. I believe the first question concerns language, so I will answer it first. The second one is probably more cultural, and I am not sure I’m really qualified to answer it, but, I’ll give you my opinion! :D It will probably be "off-topic" and we might get yelled at by a moderator...so if you don't understand exactly what I mean, please ask, and since you will be learning, they might forgive us! :p
    Sharon, if you call someone a "Love Machine" is consider to be rude? or it depends on the tone of your voice, I mean when you say it?
    I think it would depend. Looking at the way society views the roles, it would probably be a complimentary thing to say about a man, and it would depend for the woman. If said alone, at the right time ;), it might be considered a compliment, but later, after the heat of the moment and during the analysis of what you said, she might privately wonder if you had insulted her. (I think I would.)

Yeah, I don't know why, the studs or the playboy's are the heroes among people specially man, and woman that do that, are the villains, can you please explain to me, why is that wrong with woman?
    I think part of it is the things we learned from our elders, whether we knew we were learning them, or not! The "sexual revolution" was not all that long ago. To illustrate my point, I'll tell you a story! :)
    My mother was a teenager in the late 40’s-mid 50’s, and she grew up in a small town, where everyone knew everyone else’s business. I was a teenager in the 80’s. I was a "surprise" baby, and my parents were about ten years older than the parents of my friends. I will NEVER forget the look on my mother’s face when I picked up the phone, dialed a number, and then... asked to speak to... Michael! :eek:
    She listened while we chit-chatted briefly, and then angrily told me that she needed the phone. When I hung up, I got the craziest lecture! How dare I call a boy, what kind of daughter must his parents think she was raising??!! I listened in utter shock for a few minutes, and then I listened in amusement for a few more, (-> carefully keeping the look off my face...hey, I was a teenager! :D) and then I calmly informed her that we were on a group project at school, and I needed to call him to discuss that. Needless to say, that really took the wind out of her sails!! :p

Also, I think that a man is considered a stud because if he can have many women sleep with him, others will know that he is good-looking or charming enough to convince them. I think it is safe to assume that, overall, men do not take as much convincing. As far as why women are judged so harshly, I hate to say it like this, but nowadays I think it could be compared to the theory of supply and demand. Something that is too easy to get is obviously not worth having – especially if everyone else has had it first! The harder you have to work for something, the more you appreciate getting it.

:confused: Myself, I have mixed feelings. I have the right to do what I want with my body. I have the same needs, wants, feelings and desires as a man, and I know this. I know there is no shame in enjoying it. I do not think harshly of women who do sleep around a lot. But still... to have sex with a different man every night, no...that's not for me. I just can't give myself "permission."

< Previous | Next >