love triangle

narauna

Spanish & Catalan
Does the expression 'love triangle' exist in English? In Spanish we use it when we mean an affective relationship which involves three people, usually no explicitly -but with some degree of nocturnity or doubts-. (Is nocturnity ok?).

• Packard

USA, English
    In the USA a love triangle is an uncomfortable situation were three people are in love, but not necessarily with both of the others. It can make for interesting sitcoms, movies and novels, but not so good for marriages and families.

I am not familiar with "nocturnity" and will have to look that up.

Addendum: A quick Google search comes up empty for "nocturnity". (It sounds like an evening that lasts forever.)

narauna

Spanish & Catalan
    Thank you very much, Packard! Is exactly the same in Spanish, just that I could not explain it properly in English. Thank you very much, don't worry for nocturnity, I don't need this word, it just came out when I was trying to explain the love triangle...!

narauna

Spanish & Catalan
    Jaja... maybe new families and marriages will have to be able to deal with triangles (if families and marriages are expected to survive)... thank you!

sandpiperlily

To be clear, to me a love triangle is by definition an unhappy situation. For example, two men may be in love with the same woman. Or a woman may be in love with a man, but he loves a second woman who does not love him back.

A romantic relationship where three people are happily in love with each other, or where one person is involved with two other people with the consent of both, is not a love triangle.

narauna

Spanish & Catalan
    Okay... for my case, I must describe a situation where two people are in love and kind of engaged, but one of them maintains sexual intercourses with a third person who is in love with him. Would this make a love triangle?

Anyway you are right, three people together would be a trio, not a love triangle. I just was joking because maybe a happy end for a triangle would be the integration of the three in the same relationship.

Thanks!

pob14

American English
    Okay... for my case, I must describe a situation where two people are in love and kind of engaged, but one of them maintains sexual intercourses with a third person who is in love with him. Would this make a love triangle?
    Most definitely. (Intercourse should be singular, though. No matter how many times they do it. :))

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Do they all know about each other? If one of them doesn't, this isn't a love triangle.

Davidvs91

English - American
    Do they all know about each other? If one of them doesn't, this isn't a love triangle.
    I am not sure that I agree. I think it depends on who's point of view you are looking at;

- If my girlfriend were cheating on me with another person and I did not know about it, I would not feel like I was in a love triangle.

- If I were cheating on my girlfriend with someone else, I would be in a love triangle.

- If someone's girlfriend were cheating on them with me, it would depend on if I knew about the boyfriend.

That being said, I do understand where you are coming from. Typically in stories, movies, etc. a love triangle involves two friends in love with the same person. I just don't know if I would constrict the definition to just that situation.

Packard

USA, English
    You could have a love triangle amongst a panoply of other lovers I should imagine. Though that would seem to dilute the passion somewhat.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I always thought that a love triangle was made up of three people who all knew of their own involvement in it, for better or worse. If all three don't, then what you have is someone getting it from more than one source, and someone else innocently getting crapped on.

I also see your point, though.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I had to look up panoply. :rolleyes:

I guess a person could set up a whole bunch (my word for panoply) of love triangles, but that doesn't change the fact that within those groups, I think everyone would need to know about the other.

Packard

USA, English
    I always thought that a love triangle was made up of three people who all knew of their own involvement in it, for better or worse. If all three don't, then what you have is someone getting it from more than one source, and someone else innocently getting crapped on.

I also see your point, though.
    In a classic love triangle at least one party of the triangle is in the dark, but all know one another.

A friend of mine was the unwitting part of a triangle that included his wife and his best friend. I think this is the sort of classical love triangle that most people think of when they think "love triangle".

One person gets hurt badly; two get wounded.

In my friend's case he got hurt badly; and his [former] best friend and his ex-wife got married, but never could trust each other.

Love triangle.

Packard

USA, English
    I had to look up panoply. :rolleyes:

I guess a person could set up a whole bunch (my word for panoply) of love triangles, but that doesn't change the fact that within those groups, I think everyone would need to know about the other.
    In my love-hexagon (six equilateral love triangles) all the parties would have to know each other, but they would not all have to know of the sexual deceptions. In fact the deceptions are implicit in a love triangle in my opinion. Otherwise we are talking about Mormons.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Maybe it's a matter of opinion, which I can accept here. The reason I asked if they all knew each other is because, in my opinion, it doesn't become an official triangle until they all find out about each other.

Until then, it's just a skank and two dupes, or two skanks and one dupe.

It's a matter of timing in my mind. At what point are all three participating and making it an official triangle?

Also, as David mentioned in his three scenarios, he based his opinion on what he would know and then he labeled it from just his point of view. I look at it as a whole situation in which the three are totally involved in making up the triangle.

This is actually an interesting concept to analyze. I never really have before.

Davidvs91

English - American
    Would you exclude the "nerdy next door neighbor with the unrequited crush - who eventually wins the girl away from the pompous varsity team boyfriend" teen movie genre from the definition of a love triangle? :)

AngelEyes

English - United States
    The unrequited crush is one thing separate from a triangle. Pursuing the girl turns into a triangle when the boyfriend finds out. From the time he finds out until one of the three loses, it's a triangle.

This is probably one of those threads that have more than one answer.

sandpaperlily expressed it another way, which I liked. A love triangle is an unhappy situation where there's a loser. All participants need to know about it for the pain to be there.

Can there be a triangle after the fact? Meaning they all didn't find out until it was over?

I don't know.

< Previous | Next >