love

neli

slovenia
Hi!

Please tell me how do you say love in your language. Can you tell me how can I proounce this word. Thanks.

• susanb

Catalan-Catalonia
    What do you need exactly? Do you need the noun, the verb? In my language it changes and it may in others:)

übermönch

World - 1.German, 2.Russian, 3.English
    En russe:
    the noun: любовь [Lü´bov'] [Lew-bov']
    the verb: любить [Lü´bit'] [Lew-beet']

Ukrainian:
    the noun: любов, Кохання [Lü´bouw, Kóxan'nja] [lew-bow, kokhannya]
    the verb: кохати [Kóxaty] [kokhahti]

German:
    the noun: Liebe [lìbe][lee-be]
    the verb: lieben [lìben][lee-ben]

!netko!

Croatian, Croatia
    In Croatian :

noun: ljubav = ly (or more precisely, Spanish ll) - oo as in ''cool'' - buv(rhymes with ''love'')

verb: voljeti = voh - lye (or more precisely, Spanish lle) - tee

Mutichou

France - French
    In French:
    love: amour
    to love: aimer

In Spanish:
    love: amor
    to love: querer, amar (I don't know the difference...)

In Italian:
    love: amore
    to love: amare

Finnish:
    Verb: rakastaa /rakasta:/
    Noun: rakkaus /rak:aus/

Swedish:
    Verb: älska /elska/
    Noun: kärlek /tʃærle:k/

Someone who knows Swedish better, please correct the pronounciation if they're wrong. I'm only familiar with the Finland-Swedish pronounciation.

avalon2004

UK- English/Spanish
    In Modern Greek:

Noun: Η αγάπη- I aghápi / Ο έρωτας- O érotas
    Verb: Αγαπάω- Aghapáo = I love / Ερωτεύομαι- Erotévome = I fall in love

In Portuguese:

Noun: O amor
    Verb: Amar or querer (the latter means "to want" but used to mean "love" sometimes)

kanojo_

Slovenia, Slovene
    In Slovene: Ljubezen.

Note: I have just found out you're from Slovenia .. hehe :)

LeMakiyo

Singapore
    In Chinese, it's : (ai4) similar to English pronunciation of "eye". (It's the same word for both noun & verb.)

robbie_SWE

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    Romanian has many words for the word "love".

Iubire (youbeeré), dragoste (dràgosté), amor (àmór), patimă (pàtimá).

But only few words to express the verb "to love".

a iubi (à youbee), a plăcea (à plácea), a dori (à doree), a se drăgosti (à sé drágostee).

"A plăcea" actually means to like somebody, "a dori" means to want somebody so much that it hurts and "a se drăgosti" means to fall in love with somebody.

à = like the French "à Paris"
    á = like the English "a dog"

Hope it helped!

:) robbie

Marga H

Poland,Polish
    Polish:
    noun: miłość [miwo + soft sh and soft cz ]
    verb : kochać [ko h like horse a + soft cz]

panjabigator

Am. English
    Perhaps this thread will interest you.

Anyway, in Panjabi, Hindi and Urdu, there are a TON of words.

pyaar, sneh, mohabbat, ishq,

I can't think of more at the moment, and each word has a slightly different meaning. I will update and define more later!

Claire Steiner

English, United States
    In English,as you know, the "o" in "love" is a schwa, but when the verb is emphasized, the "o" can take on the sound of subnasal "a".

karuna

Latvian, Latvia
    Perhaps this thread will interest you.

Anyway, in Panjabi, Hindi and Urdu, there are a TON of words.

pyaar, sneh, mohabbat, ishq,

I can't think of more at the moment, and each word has a slightly different meaning. I will update and define more later!

It is so true. I don't know Hindi but in Sanskrit I can name by heart at least a dozen words without looking: bhakti, prema, sneha, rāga, rati, bhāva, vātsalya, dāsya, mādhurya, shānti, kāma, karuna. Of course, they are not interchangable and most of them are very specific. But it is not that these words are invented solely for devotional purposes. All of them have originated from purely mundane dealings between humans.

gigi1

Greek Greece
    In Modern Greek:

Noun: Η αγάπη- I aghápi / Ο έρωτας- O érotas
    Verb: Αγαπάω- Aghapáo = I love / Ερωτεύομαι- Erotévome = I fall in love

A small correction for the Greek version
    έρωτας (noun): the state of being in love (not love)
    ερωτεύομαι (verb) : being in love

For us being in love comes before loving someone (I'm saying this because I've been told that for Arabs its not like that)

yasemin

Turkey, Turkish
    other suggestions for turkish:
    sevgi (which is the most common and the most general in meaning).
    sevda (love for your partner or someone else, but in a desperate manner. "karasevda" is somewhat stronger).
    tutkunluk (comes from "tutku" which literally means passion)
    etc..

kats

USA
    English
    I am by no means fluent in Japanese, but from what I understand, the verb shiru is used a lot to turn nouns into verbs. But on second thought, I think I made a mistake with the infinitive. It's suru. So, ai suru is the verb form.

Maybe someone else can correct me.

kats

USA
    English
    Yes, forgive me for posting. I've always been told "I love you" is "ai shiteimasu." But to put it in the infinitive, I'm very shaky.

1. "รัก" (Rak-v.) and "ความรัก" (Kwamrak-n) in Thai
    For example "ผมรักคุณ" (Pom Rak Khun) means "I love you" when man says to woman.
    "Pom" is "I" (for men) while "khun" means "you" (men and women)

Khebimue

Korean, S. Korea
    Korean:

사랑 (sarang) is the noun.
    사랑하다 (sarang-hada) is the verb.
    사랑해 (sarang-heh) is...hm, I don't know the grammar word for this. it's "I love you" only we don't say "I" and "you" because it's taken for granted.
    나는 너를 사랑한다 (na-neun nuh-leul sarang-handa) is I love you ...

Wow, this is confusing! Well, there's more, as you can transform the ending almost endlessly, but here it is... hehe

Amynka

Bulgaria/ Bulgarian
    Unfortunately 'sevi' is not as common as 'aşk' and not many people know the word.

Sevi or sevgi? ;) Or maybe sevim? Another one I know is: sevda (n. love) and sevdalanmak (to fall in love). :D Yeah, Turkish is such a romantic language! Probably there are more words to say love/to love...that I don't know... :)

[Moderator's Note: Merged with a previous thread]
    I'm interested in the word "love". Let's make a list of translations in other languages.

I am also interested in shades of meaning that certain translations may have in other languages. I know that the ancient Greeks had many terms for different kinds of love: are there any modern-day examples of this phenomenon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alxmrphi

UK English
    in Italian it's (as you probably know) amore and the other Romance languages have similar words. the Icelandic word for love is ást.
    Asa- is the verbal root in Greenlandic for love, and is combined with other morphemes to make the popular (if you know your Greenlandic music :p) expression "Asavakit" (I love you) but in different regions such as Inupiaq the -k- is a -g- so it's "Asavagit" (in case you wanted to find songs entitled as such, which exist:)).

Last edited:
    In Greek:

1/ «Αγάπη» (a'ɣapi f.); Classical feminine noun «ἀγάπη» (ă'gāpē)-->init. affection, erotic love later love, brotherly love, with unknown etymology. Verb «ἀγαπάω/ἀγαπῶ» (ăgă'pāō [uncontracted]/ăgă'pō [contracted]), in Modern Greek «αγαπάω/αγαπώ» (aɣa'pao [uncontracted]/aɣa'po [contracted]-->to love.
    2/ «Στοργή» (stor'ʝi f.); Classical feminine noun «στοργὴ» (stŏr'gē)-->love, affection (especially of parents to children), PIE base *sterg-, to guard, care (cognate to Irish, serc, Welsh, serch). Verb «στέργω» ('stĕrgō)-->to be fond of, love (the mutual love of parents and children or of king and his subjects). Although in Modern Greek, «στοργή» has retained its ancient meaning, with «στέργω» ('sterɣo) or folkish «στρέγω» ('streɣo) we mean to condescend.
    3/ «Έρωτας» ('erotas m.); Classical masculine noun «ἔρως» ('ĕrōs)-->init. sexual passion, desire later passionate love of unknown etymology. Verb «ἔραμαι» ('ĕrāmæ)-->to love, desire (it has not survived in the modern language). Modern Greek «ερωτεύομαι» (ero'tevome)-->to fall in love.
    4/ «Φιλία» (fi'lia f.); Classical feminine noun «φιλία» (pʰĭ'līă)-->affectionate regard, friendship of unknown origin. Verb «φιλέω/φιλῶ» (pʰĭ'lĕō [uncontracted]/pʰĭ'lō [contracted])-->to treat affectionately or kindly. In the modern language, «φιλώ» (fi'lo) means to kiss. «Φιλία» (fi'lia) in Modern Greek is solely the friendship. The prefix «φιλο-» (philo-) is productive of a great many compounds (i.e. philology, philosophy etc)

Orlin

Banned
    български
    Bulgarian любов, Russian любовь, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian(BCS) ljubav. They all derive from the (common Slavic) verb "to love", this verb has become poetic or archaic in Bulgarian and BCS and still regularly used in Russian.

Wow! Thanks for all the information. It is enlightening.

It would be interesting to see Asian perspectives on love. If anyone who speaks Sino-Tibetan or Semitic languages is familiar with "love" in those languages, please add to this thread.