loving the time gathering with family

lingkky

chinese
"Loving the time gathering with my family"

I found the sentence post in Facebook by someone .I wonder why the continous verb "loving " is used ?

Why the one who post did not choose the simple present "love " although the subject "I " is hided in the sentence ? Is it correct and may I know why ?

• Barque

Tamil
    A family gathering was probably going on when he posted and so he used "Loving" to indicate that he was experiencing that feeling as he posted.

[I am] Loving this time with my family.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I wonder whether it is proper to use it ("Loving the time gathering with my family") as a headline?

Barque

Tamil
    I don't see anything improper about it. It sounds informal, yes, but social media posts are usually informal.

se16teddy

English - England
    I found it rather confusing. At first sight it seems to be talking about the amount of time gradually increasing. A crowd is gathering means it is getting bigger.

Last edited:

lingkky

chinese
    I seldom hear people say " I am loving something"

I think there is no continous tense for the verb " love ".
    I think " I love something " is the correct one.Just use the simple present.

"Loving the time ( of ) gathering with my family."
    Can the word "of " here be omited ?

Barque

Tamil
    I think there is no continous tense for the verb " love ".
    What do you mean? It can have a continuous form.
    I think " I love something " is the correct one.Just use the simple present.
    The words "loving" and "I love" have different meanings. As I said earlier, he's talking about an experience that is going on, which is why he uses "Loving". It's happening as he speaks. If he had said "I love family gatherings" that would have meant something different - it would mean that he likes family gatherings in general. Here, he's taking about a specific family gathering that is going on at that time.
    "Loving the time ( of ) gathering with my family."
    Can the word "of " here be omited ?
    It's not a question of omitting "of". The word "of" isn't to be used. He means "I'm loving this time that I'm spending, meeting all my family". He has used "gathering" in an unusual way, yes. It's usually used as a noun/gerund in this context, not a verb. Try replacing it with "meeting". [I'm] loving this time/occasion, meeting with my family members.

lingkky

chinese
    What do you mean? It can have a continuous form.

The words "loving" and "I love" have different meanings. As I said earlier, he's talking about an experience that is going on, which is why he uses "Loving". It's happening as he speaks. If he had said "I love family gatherings" that would have meant something different - it would mean that he likes family gatherings in general. Here, he's taking about a specific family gathering that is going on at that time.

It's not a question of omitting "of". The word "of" isn't to be used. He means "I'm loving this time that I'm spending, meeting all my family". He has used "gathering" in an unusual way, yes. It's usually used as a noun/gerund in this context, not a verb. Try replacing it with "meeting". [I'm] loving this time/occasion, meeting with my family members.
    Why the word "of " is not used ?
    if there is no "of " , would it mean that he is loving the time which is gathering with his family:confused:
    can time gathers with family ?

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Barque, I think we can and should support the OP's claim here. The verb "love" used in a continuous/progressive tense is not standard English and it should be avoided. He might have quoted from a social media site, but most, if not all, members' aim of asking questions here is to learn correct English.

Lingkky, I would recommend avoiding the use of "love" in the continuous tense. By always following that rule, you will be on the safe side, whether formal English or informal.

I'd have used something like "enjoying".

Barque

Tamil
    I think we can and should support the OP's claim here.
    I'm not sure I understand. What's the OP's "claim"?

He was asking for an explanation of why "Loving" was used and I was trying to give him one. It might not be particularly standard and it might be informal, but that's not surprising considering it's from a Facebook post.

lingkky

chinese
    Barque, I think we can and should support the OP's claim here. The verb "love" used in a continuous/progressive tense is not standard English and it should be avoided. He might have quoted from a social media site, but most, if not all, members' aim of asking questions here is to learn correct English.

Lingkky, I would recommend avoiding the use of "love" in the continuous tense. By always following that rule, you will be on the safe side, whether formal English or informal.

I'd have used something like "enjoying".
    "Love the time gathering with my family"
    When we avoid the word of "loving " ,is it correct for the sentence above to show what is going on now ?

Is it correct too if I add the word "of " in the sentence and it becomes
    "Love the time of gathering with my family."

Barque

Tamil
    When we avoid the word of "loving " ,is it correct for the sentence above ?

Is it correct too if I add the word "of " in the sentence and it becomes
    You're giving me the impression you haven't been reading any of the answers you've got so far. Perhaps you'd like to take another look at my earlier posts?

lingkky

chinese
    "Love the time of gathering with my family ."
    My question now is can the sentence above used to express that I am enjoying the time now by using the word "love " but not "loving "?
    Because we should avoid the use of "loving "

Barque

Tamil
    My question now is can the sentence above used to express that I am enjoying the time now by using the word "love " but not "loving "?
    In context, yes. If a family gathering was going on and you said this to someone, it could be understood that you also meant that you were enjoying that specific occasion. But the usual meaning is that you like family gatherings in general.

The continuous tense "loving" is meant for just this purpose - to express the idea that something is going on, so I'm not sure why you want to use the simple present to describe it.

Because we should avoid the use of "loving "
    I disagree with EMP on this. As long as you learn when it's appropriate, you don't have to avoid its use. In some contexts, especially informal ones, it conveys the intended meaning well.

lingkky

chinese
    I have never heard people say the sentence
    "I am loving "
    I do not think it is true in English.
    Does a native speaker use the word "loving"?
    But the word "enjoying " is frequently used.

Last edited:

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    I respectfully disagree with EMP.
    "Love" can be used in continuous form in some contexts.

I was about to refer to the thread Loob has given a link to - she is sharp.;)

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I have never hear people say the sentence
    "I am loving "
    Because it's not correct.

You have to be careful in choosing and using expressions declared correct on WR (sometimes the additional explanation might be "The sentence is correct but a few essential words were not spoken because the speaker was in a great hurry" or "The sentence makes perfect sense if you live on the sun, are aged 3500 and have been living there for at least 1900 years").

The first post in that thread says this:
    "... you're right, the verbs that you listed above never used to be used in the continuous aspect like they are today. It's definitely a recent phenomenon (in the past few years)."

I attribute a lot of that to McDonald's "I'm loving it". I believe when we hear a wrong thing used innumerable times, we start finding it normal and correct and come up with our own explanations, which are then read and accepted/used by others. Here the explanation will be something like "we are loving every bit of it in the present" but I wonder if people at McDonald's or in the present times really love things so much more than people in the past did! How about "I'm hating it"? I'm sure it sounds odd to most people. Why? Because it's not been part of an aggressive advertisement, etc. Now the explanation for that may be that we don't hate anything on purpose or voluntarily but it's an involuntary action. Well, no more than " love" -- to love is an equally involuntary action, but yes the verb has been the part of an aggressive advertisement worldwide and you hear it used all the time.

Loob

English UK
    Have you read the whole of the thread I posted a link to, Emp?

PS. I'm hating it is also fine in the right context:).

Loob

English UK
    Oh my god.It is too complex for me to understand.:eek:
    Then stick with your practice of not using "love" in the progressive tenses - but recognise that you will, from time to time, find people using it that way:).

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I'm hating it is also fine in the right context:).
    If I love my car too much and am not letting it go, I'm having it!
    I'm sure if a giant international company advertised its products with "I'm having it" instead of "I have it" to express merely possession, " I'm having it" would soon catch on and be declared correct on WR in right contexts.

I have read that thread in the past -- I just read the first post now.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    I'm having it is correct in the right contexts.:confused:

Last edited:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    In the sense of "to possess"?

I'm having a Samsung phone. = I have a Samsung phone.
    (I love my phone too much and don't want to part with it.)
    Correct?

Barque

Tamil
    Actually, in that context, it sounds a little odd, EMP.

Have you thrown the leftover pasta away?
    No, I'm having it for dinner tonight.

For more examples, take a look at this. And this.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Actually, in that context, it sounds a little odd, EMP.
    No, Barque, you are not understanding. I'm loving my Samsung phone too much -- that's more than just "I have a Samsung phone" -- I hope Samsung makes it its catchline and proves me right after a few years.

No problem, Loob, but I'm fairly sure you agree with Barque, as usual:), that it sounds a little odd.

And yes, I forgot to mention that "I'm having a Samsung phone" is perfectly natural:), and more common than the simple tense, in Indian English.

Barque

Tamil
    I'm loving my phone.
    I'm loving my time here.

I can imagine both being used in informal speech.

Loob

English UK
    If you added "the" to the second one, they could well be OK, Emp.

In the right context;).

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    There is nothing wrong, in principle, with using the verb "love" in the present continuous, provided it is done right.
    It must involve a current situation as opposed to a habitual generality, and it must use the verb in an appropriate sense, similar to "enjoy".
    You would not argue against saying "The pets were enjoying the milk", would you? Here "loving" is just a kind of exaggeration.

Of course "I am loving my wife" does not work.
    To be honest, I would put that Facebook sentence in a dustbin -- it's not correct and needs rephrasing.
    I agree with that. Not because of "loving", but because of the rest of it.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    You would not argue against saying "The pets were enjoying the milk", would you? Here "loving" is just a kind of exaggeration.
    Not at all, but then that's what I'd say. I don't use "loving" to mean "enjoying". But exaggeration is the best explanation I have heard of the usage and when something is exaggeration, it's pointless to try to ascertain its correctness, I think.

Loob

English UK
    Here's a post from the linked thread which neatly echoes Edinburgher's point about "enjoying":
    A lot of "rules"--such as those in the (famous) Raymond Murphy book--are designed to make the language more manageable for learners--which makes sense. Learners need something to hold on to, and grammar is much less slippery when it is packaged into a neat little box. Of course, we can't forget that these rules are often gross simplifications of reality; this case with the stative vs. dynamic aspect of certain verbs (like, love, etc...) is a good example.
    At the end of the day language is much more grammaticalized lexis than lexicalized grammar--in a nutshell, grammar is driven by the particular use of lexical items. A verb such as love is a good case as it can mean "really enjoy" (I'm loving this hamburger!) as well as "romantically love" (I love you).

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I don't use "loving" to mean "enjoying".
    That's a perfectly reasonable choice to make, but not one that you can impose on others as a general rule.
    when something is exaggeration, it's pointless to try to ascertain its correctness, I think.
    I don't understand. Is there something incorrect about the device of exaggeration?

I wouldn't say "I am enjoying my wife" either, by the way, though I can be enjoying and loving my life. :)

This usage of loving is far from non-standard. It is widely used:
    A: I hear your daughter has just graduated and is in her first full-time job. How is she getting on?
    B: Oh, she's absolutely loving it. She's made lots of new friends, and the work is interesting too.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    No, nothing wrong with the device of exaggeration but it's beyond the scrutiny of correctness, I think.
    A: What are you doing? Does your phone smell?
    B: No, I am smelling the Internet signal -- I can't send even a message on Whatsapp.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I still don't understand. Your example is deliberately bizarre, but there is no reason not to scrutinize the correctness of B's exaggeration. For example, it should be "I can't even send..." (wrong word order).

< Previous | Next >