low profile footprint

Wookie

Korea, Korean
With its compact, low profile footprint, and best-in-class performance, the NCR RealPOS™ Low Profile Bi-Optic Scanner/Scale is ideal for high traffic yet space constrained checkouts and seated cashiers.
(Source)

This is from a website about a POS scanner/scale.
I'd like to know what "low profile footprint" means. It seems to be a jargon.

• Myridon

English - US
    It could be low-profile (not tall) and have a compact footprint (cover a small amount of counter space), but low-profile footprint doesn't make sense to me.

sistergirl

English - U.S.
    Wookie, I think you're right, it's jargon that simply means the scanner is, as Myridon said, not tall and takes up very little space. I think a lot of people believe the word "footprint" means "size."

atsamo

Polish
    With its compact, low profile footprint, and best-in-class performance, the NCR RealPOS™ Low Profile Bi-Optic Scanner/Scale is ideal for high traffic yet space constrained checkouts and seated cashiers.
    (Source)

This is from a website about a POS scanner/scale.
    I'd like to know what "low profile footprint" means. It seems to be a jargon.
    Hi,

low profile adj 1 not projecting far above the surface or base; low. (The first meaning of low profile adj in The New Penguin English Dictionary)

footprint 3 the space on a desk occupied by an electronic device such as a computer. (The third meaning of footprint in The New Penguin English Dictionary, 2000 edition)

Last edited:

sistergirl

English - U.S.
    I think the point is that you can't have a "low-profile footprint." In my understanding, footprint doesn't refer to height, but to the flat, two-dimensional surface taken up by the scanner. You can't get much more low-profile than flat.

atsamo

Polish
    I think the point is that you can't have a "low-profile footprint." In my understanding, footprint doesn't refer to height, but to the flat, two-dimensional surface taken up by the scanner. You can't get much more low-profile than flat.
    Hi,

But in the dictionary definition [footprint 3 the space on a desk occupied by an electronic device such as a computer. (The third meaning of footprint in The New Penguin English Dictionary, 2000 edition)] footprint is identified as a space which is three-dimentional as such.

Myridon

English - US
    Outer space is three-dimensional (possibly 11-dimensional according to string theory). The space ON my desk is two-dimensional.

sistergirl

English - U.S.
    Sorry, atsamo, you're not going to persuade me that "footprint" means anything other than the flat space taken up by something. Alas, the only hard-copy dictionary I have is a 1983 version, before "footprint" was widely used to describe anything other than the mark made by a foot. However, the definitions found at merriam-webster.com, dictionary.com, Cambridge Dictionaries online, and Babylon all state that it is the surface area covered by something (rather than the total area taken up by the device). So, yes, it's the space on the desk, but not the space extending above the desk.

atsamo

Polish
    Sorry, atsamo, you're not going to persuade me that "footprint" means anything other than the flat space taken up by something. Alas, the only hard-copy dictionary I have is a 1983 version, before "footprint" was widely used to describe anything other than the mark made by a foot. However, the definitions found at merriam-webster.com, dictionary.com, Cambridge Dictionaries online, and Babylon all state that it is the surface area covered by something (rather than the total area taken up by the device). So, yes, it's the space on the desk, but not the space extending above the desk.
    Hi,

Yes, I agree, but what about the carbon footprint which is measured in kilograms/tonnes or cubic metres of CO2?

sdgraham

USA English
    Sistergirl is correct. If you doubt her, go wet the bottom of your shoe and step on the floor and measure how high the resulting footprint is.

Some animals, of course, leave a deeper footprint in soft earth, but not by much.

"Carbon footprint" is obviously metaphorical, but your original question dealt with literal dimensions and as such, the reference is irrelevant.

Some people, however, take the language in new directions without resorting to logic.

< Previous | Next >