low season/ slack season

makeeverything

chinese-english
In my opinion, I think the two phrases can refer to "the least busy part of the time" .

If I am right, the key to the exercises below should be both A and B, shouldn't it?

Winter is the _ season at most hotels in this seaside town; because very few tourists come to stay.
A. slow B.slack C.low D.quiet

But the key from the textbook is only B. I think it is not reasonable. I don't know why.

• heypresto

English - England
    To me, all four words sound fine in this sentence. And if I had to choose just one, I think I would go for A. Or possibly D.

It looks to me like yet another bad textbook question.

heypresto

English - England
    What are you confused about exactly? You can put any of the four words in the sentence, and it would be fine. So, although the book may insist that only one of the words is correct, we are saying that the book is wrong to insist on this. As I suggested - it's a badly constructed test question. We see quite a few such questions here.

rhitagawr

British English
    I'd say C and I think you'd also see C in texts relating to the tourist industry. I suppose you could say D. A and B don't go so well with season, although you could say trade is
    slack or trade is slow if people aren't flocking in their millions to your hotel.

sdgraham

USA English
    What are you confused about exactly? You can put any of the four words in the sentence, and it would be fine. So, although the book may insist that only one of the words is correct, we are saying that the book is wrong to insist on this. As I suggested - it's a badly constructed test question. We see quite a few such questions here.
    Absolutely. You could encounter any of those choices, depending upon where you are and who is speaking.

Just as we cannot save you from tidal waves, earthquakes and famine, we cannot rescue you from exercises written by ignorant people.

Good luck, however.

< Previous | Next >