low stakes

Marinka

French - France
Hi,
In the following sentence, it seems to me quite unlogical to say that the stakes are low, that there is not so much to lose. Can "stake" have another meaning or does the author really mean that there is no risk losing a lot?

Murder has become the primary tool whereby the state seeks to control the organs of liberty. Today it is the journalists, tomorrow it will be the judges. For neither group have the risks ever been higher or the stakes lower.

Thanks
Marina

• Greg1975

Latvian
    "Stake" is a sum of money or its equivalent that you can win or lose.
    I would paraphrase the last sentence this way:
    "For journalists and judges the risks are higher than ever before and the profits lower."

Greg

ewie

English English
    I agree, Marina: it doesn't appear to make much sense. I'd paraphrase it as follows:
    Never before have members of either group had to do so little at such great risk.

Marinka

French - France
    Ewie,
    So it would mean that never before have members of either group taken greater risks for so insignificant results..?
    Yes, it can make sense...

ewie

English English
    Sorry, my paraphrase wasn't brilliant ~ what I meant was: never before have journalists or judges been so at risk of horrible punishment for such insignificant misdemeanours.

< Previous | Next >