Lua urechile

chatkigazouille

Indonesian
Hello all!

I am reading Psalmii 130 and I see the following:

Doamne, ascultă-mi glasul! Să ia aminte urechile Tale la glasul cererilor mele!

1) is there an expression "lua urechea"? In French, "prêter l'oreille" means "to listen carefully" (literally to "lend the ear") so I'm assuming that this is the same deal.

2) Să + imperative - is this a thing? If it were just a regular conjunctiv I would expect să iei... Is this form used because the psalmist is addressing God directly with his strong wish? ("may you listen to our supplications!")

Thank you all!

• irinet

Romanian
    'Să ia aminte urechile tale' - Present Conjunctive, 3rd person.
    "Urechile" - the subject of the Present Conjunctive.

God's ears should listen to...
    It's not a special expression in Romanian regarding the ears. It's with 'a lua aminte' - pay attention/listen very carefully, instead.

metaphrastes

Portuguese - Portugal
    For what is worth, the Hebrew text follow a scheme of verb (hâyâh, to be, to become) + noun ([thine] ears) + adjective (attentive). The King James version follows this same scheme, adapting just the word order: "let thine ears be attentive...".

For some reason, this wording does not seem to be idiomatic in Romanian. The Romanian Synodal Bible reads so: "Fie urechile Tale cu luare-aminte la glasul rugăciunii mele". Instead of a bare adjective, it is used a locution with adjective power - cu luare-aminte, with attention, with attentiveness. The translation you quoted gives it another spin, using a verbal locution or idiomatic expression as lua aminte.

Theoretically, it would be possible to use the adjectives atent or grijuliu, but I cannot remember seeing them either in Biblical or Liturgical Romanian language - they are not idiomatic.

It is interesting, because the more idiomatic expressions, in Romanian - a lua aminte, cu luare-aminte - do sound absolutely Biblical, being that the Hebrew language has a lot of these concrete images, such as incline thine ear, in Psalm 45:10, in Romanian, Ascultă fiică şi vezi şi pleacă urechea ta..., having the same meaning of hearing attentively. It appears many times too in the Psalms and Proverbs, as well in Job, Isaiah or Daniel. And probably a good translation to this expression, in French, would be "prêter l'oreille", which sounds very Biblical, too.

chatkigazouille

Indonesian
    @metaphrastes That's very interesting. The French Bibles (LSG, Crampon, AELF) sound closer to the Hebrew translation actually (que Tes oreilles soient attentives ~ may Your ears be attentive). But anyways.

@irinet "a pleca urechea" - can this mean "to listen carefully" as well?

Thank you all. I'm learning so much from this, from you all and from the Bible (thanks be to God! :) )

Last edited:

farscape

mod-errare humanum est
    Romanian
    Honestly, when was the last time you used it or witnessed it being used in common language?

I find it hard to believe that you speak like this: "Îmi plec urechea la vorbele voastre " when talking to your friends and mean "I listen to you attentively" or "I believe your gossip" :D

irinet

Romanian
    Believe it or not, but I really use it in the negative form: Nu mai pleca tu urechea la tot ce se zice/la toate zvonurile.