luck /lucky

westwind

Chinese
As I was ridding on the bus not long ago, an elderly gentleman asked what I did. I told him I was an archaeologist. He replied:" That must be wonderful, for the only thing you have to be to succeed is lucky. (from Binford's The Challenge of Archaeology)

Could you please tell me why lucky, instead of the noun. luck. I think the old man wants to say that It is 'good luck' that brings an archaeologist success.
Thank you.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    He said "...the only thing you have to be...is lucky." "Lucky" is an adjective describing "you."

He could also have said "...the only thing you have to have...is luck."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I think the old man is saying that the only thing is lcuk.
    We know that, but you asked about why adjective and not noun in the original sentence.

That must be wonderful, for the only thing you have to have to succeed is luck.
    That must be wonderful, for the only thing you have to be to succeed is lucky

westwind

Chinese
    We know that, but you asked about why adjective and not noun in the original sentence.

That must be wonderful, for the only thing you have to have to succeed is luck.
    That must be wonderful, for the only thing you have to be to succeed is lucky
    Got it. Thank you, JUlian.

< Previous | Next >