Lucky is the man who has a woman, in his life

Ahmed Al Saady

Arabic
Hi, everyone!
I hope everything's alright.

1. Lucky is the man who has a woman, in his life, who understands him more than he understands himself.
2. Lucky is the man to have a woman, in his life, who understands him more than he understands himself.

My 1st question I hope you, kindly, help me with is...
Can I reduce the sentence number 1 above by replacing the relative pronoun "who" and the "has" with "to have" as I did in the sentence number 2 above?
3. Lucky is the man having a woman, in his life, who understands him more than he understands himself.
4. Lucky is the man who has a woman, in his life, understanding him more than he understands himself.

My 2nd question I, too, hope you kindly help me with is...
Can the sentences number 1, 3 & 4 be used interchangeably?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
  • Ahmed Al Saady

Arabic
    Sentence 1 is okay. Sentence 2 is not. I don't think 3 or 4 work either.

Where did you see sentence 1?
    Thank you very much for the answer!
    It's mine; I mean it's I who've written/penned it; why? Is there something wrong with it?
    Thank you very much!

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Let's simplify everything by using the word "princess" to mean " a woman who understand a man better than himself". Then we can focus on your question.

Sentence 1 has the phrase "the man who has a princess". It uses the relative clause "who has a princess" to define a subset of all men. Note that here "the man" is interchangeable with "every man". They both mean "every man who is in this subset".

We don't say "the man to have a princess" to define a subset of all men. We don't say "the man having a princess" to define a subset of all men.

1. Lucky is the man who has a woman, in his life, who understands him more than he understands himself.
    4. Lucky is the man who has a woman, in his life, understanding him more than he understands himself.
    This is a completely different question, about a completely different grammatical subject. So it belongs in a separate thread.

Ahmed Al Saady

Arabic
    Let's simplify everything by using the word "princess" to mean " a woman who understand a man better than himself". Then we can focus on your question.

Sentence 1 has the phrase "the man who has a princess". It uses the relative clause "who has a princess" to define a subset of all men. Note that here "the man" is interchangeable with "every man". They both mean "every man who is in this subset".

We don't say "the man to have a princess" to define a subset of all men. We don't say "the man having a princess" to define a subset of all men.

This is a completely different question, about a completely different grammatical subject. So it belongs in a separate thread.

Wow, how simple and beautiful your explanation is;
    it really helps me a lot;
    by the way, I did what you'd told me, and I used
    '... who understands him more than he understands himself',
    but I replaced 'who has a woman' with 'in whose life there's a woman'...
    so...
    Lucky is the man in whose life there's a woman who understands him more than he understands himself;
    and it (the sentence) got about 500 likes in less than an hour after I'd posted it on my page.

You guys are wonderful.
    I'm so lucky to have found forum.

Seriously, thanks to all of you, my English is improving.

There's something else I'd like to add:

Your beautiful explanation has just helped me
    understand some points relating to the articles "a" & "the";
    which means that the article "the" in the following sentence
    "The woman (who(m)) a man never forgets is the one who decides of her own free will to walk out of his life"
    refers to or is interchangeable with every woman;
    did I understand your explanation correctly?

Anyway, thank you very much for everything; for your answer, explanation, help...

< Previous | Next >