Luglio

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
Hello. I was wondering if anyone had an explanation as to why July is Luglio in Italian rather than an expected Giuglio. Besides July, other Romance also has (Julio, Julho, Juillet... )

• Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    I guess it must just be a case of dissimilation. Similar to that of Catalan jull or Spanish joyo.

bearded

Italian
    Another reason is (in my opinion) the need to avoid confusion with the very common personal masculine name Giulio. The latter is a more faithful continuation of Latin Julius. The man and the month have phonetically taken somewhat divergent ways.

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    I guess it must just be a case of dissimilation. Similar to that of Catalan jull or Spanish joyo.
    Dissimilation because it is impossible to pronounce Gliuglio?
    So lolium becomes liolum > liolo. Then ʎolio > ʒoʎo > ʃoʎo > xoʝo . That's a long process for lolium to become joyo. But did Catalan ʎ become ʒ too at a certain stage? At any rate lolium already had an L, Iulius had I.
    Another reason is (in my opinion) the need to avoid confusion with the very common personal masculine name Giulio. The latter is a more faithful continuation of Latin Julius. The man and the month have phonetically taken somewhat divergent ways.
    Maybe, but Spanish doesn't seem to have a problem with Julio being both the name and the month. French has Jules and Juillet though, the -et being another mystery.

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    But did Catalan ʎ become ʒ too at a certain stage?
    No, words from lo- become llo- and stay like that (lloc, llom, llong). Loliu should have given lloll, so in jull there is a clear case of dissimilation (probably causing the closing of o into u).

By the way, Catalan also distinguishes the name Juli and the month juliol (iuliolu, diminutive)

symposium

Italian - Italy
    Sooooo... what if somebody mistook the I of Iulius for an L? Sorry, I was just being silly. I suppose that Iuglius became Gliuglius for assimilation, the two syllables being so similar, but the sound "gl" being too hard to pronounce at the beginning of a word, it naturally morphed into a L.

< Previous | Next >