...'any credit card' non suona affatto bene

uinni

Italy, Italian
    shamblesuk said:
    Either:

...'a credit card' (prefereable), or
    ...'any credit cards' (not so good)

...'any credit card' non suona affatto bene
    Oh my! I have been tought that the right phrase to tell that "I have never managed to get a credit card" is "I do not have any credit card"

So I guess I have to "re-wind"... :)

Thank you

Unni.

uinni said:
    Oh my! I have been tought that the right phrase to tell that "I have never managed to get a credit card" is "I do not have any credit card"

So I guess I have to "re-wind"... :)

Thank you

Unni.
    It is perfectly proper to say, "I do not have any credit cards" ("cards" plural) but not, "I do not have any credit card."

This is REAL tough for a non-native speaker. You say "a" for singular and "any" for plural when it refers to items you can count: "I do not have a can of soup in the house"/"I do not have any cans of soup in the house."

BUT if it is a collective item not subject to counting, you use "any": "I do not have any soup in the house."

There's probably a lot better way to express this rule -- maybe lsp, who is the expert at such things, will chime in here and help me out.

lsp

NY
    US, English
    carrickp said:
    There's probably a lot better way to express this rule -- maybe lsp, who is the expert at such things, will chime in here and help me out.
    :eek: I'm not worthy, and there's nothing to add to your excellent explanation! :)

< Previous | Next >