lull me

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree that 'lull me' by itself won't be understood as 'lull me to sleep.'
    How it will be understood -- if it is understood -- will depend on what else is said.

What sort of thing do you have in mind?

Copyright

American English
    Oh, I don't know ... now that you've told us what you're going to use it for, go ahead. People will learn what you mean simply by the context you post, or a subhead you use – "To sleep, perchance to dream."

Plus ... lullme.com is available right now. :)

Last edited:

elbulgarian

Bulgarian
    Well, for now I have abandoned the idea, as it was not a profitable one at first thought and I have spent my budget for some other domains. So, anyone else that might like it - please, feel free to give it a try. I was about to built a simple web site under that domain, with lots of links to some of those lovely (as I have recently discovered) recordings of relaxing and sleeping sounds (they really helped me with my sleeping problems), lasting for 8-10 hours on YouTube. With the open possibility to make it more personal later with my own recordings. Lack of money, lack of equipment, etc. - it is not going to happen! At least not now.
    Sorry for the off-topic.

Myridon

English - US
    I would understand it in a "sleepy" way. I could be easily lulled to sleep.
    You can be lulled from an excited state to a calmer state. It doesn't necessarily imply sleepiness.
    (Said aloud in an Internet context, "lull me" might be confused with "LOL me." ;))

perpend

Banned
    American English
    You can be lulled from an excited state to a calmer state. It doesn't necessarily imply sleepiness.
    (Said aloud in an Internet context, "lull me" might be confused with "LOL me." ;))
    Maybe in your Texas phonetics, Myridon. El-Oh-El. :)

Yes, "lull" doesn't insist upon being about sleep, but most often is. I think ebulgarian was on to something.

But, lull-a-bye, Myridon, in the morn', cares will be gone. ;)

Andygc

British English
    Have one from me, perp: He was lulled into a false sense of security.
    And from a more famous writer: 1680 Dryden tr. Ovid in Dryden et al. tr. Epist. 218 Stay but a little, till the Tempest cease; And the loud winds are lull'd into a peace.

Were those the sort of thing you wanted?

ewie

English English
    :thumbsup: I think lull into a false sense security is the commonest way I hear lull used.
    If I want to add the notion of sleep to it, I have to add the word sleep to it:
    His conversation gradually lulled me to sleep.

His conversation gradually lulled me. would mean something like "His conversation gradually made me feel calm(er)."

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    :thumbsup: I think lull into a false sense security is the commonest way I hear lull used.
    If I want to add the notion of sleep to it, I have to add the word sleep to it:
    His conversation gradually lulled me to sleep.

His conversation gradually lulled me. would mean something like "His conversation gradually made me feel calm(er)."
    I agree on the whole ("to lull someone into complacency [before attacking them]"), but I can also see it as meaning "His conversation gradually made me drowsy".

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I read it in the "drowsy" way, as ain'tTF does. Just my opinion.

"drowsy" is just one dwarf away from "sleepy". ;)

< Previous | Next >