lullaby for adult = ?

NoClue

Vietnam, Vietnamese
Hi
Can you please show me the term for a song that is so soothing you can always go to sleep? Either because this song is your favorite or you have some memories to it. My dictionary says lullaby is for children only. Is is true?

• Tabac

U. S. - English
    Hi
    Can you please show me the term for a song that is so soothing you can always go to sleep? Either because this song is your favorite or you have some memories to it. My dictionary says lullaby is for children only. Is is true?
    I've never heard or seen the term 'lullaby' used for adults. Perhaps a 'soporific melody'?

NoClue

Vietnam, Vietnamese
    How about "lullaby-esque melody"? "lullaby-like melody"? "lullabyous melody"? ..a song that hypnotizes/sooths/affects you

Dimcl

Canadian English
    How about "lullaby-esque melody"? "lullaby-like melody"? "lullabyous melody"? ..a song that hypnotizes/sooths/affects you
    In a pinch, I might go with "lullaby-like", NoClue. I would not use the other suggestions you have made.

Is there a particular reason why you want to use the word "lullaby"? This just isn't something used in the context of adults. The closest you might come is the word "lull". A beautiful, soothing melody can "lull" you to sleep.

< Previous | Next >