1. AramHan

AramHan Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish -Argentina
    Hi! In this context: "I already got you a dress..." --he said pointing with his head at a lump that was beside you..." Is it okay to say: "lump" --referring to the dress, or is there any more adequate word i could use?
    Thanks in advance!

2. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    I'm sorry, but your question does not make any sense in English. Please give the FULL CONTEXT, including the name of the source, the complete sentence in which this appears, the preceding and following sentences, and any other information which would be useful for giving you an informed answer.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  3. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

"... indicating with his head a (bulto? maybe wrapped or tied somehow? = package, parcel)"
    Not a "lump," and in any case we need a better description of the ''lump''!

4. AramHan

AramHan Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish -Argentina
    Ok, sorry... The lump is the dress; it was kind of dark in the room, so she only saw a "bulto" --Is it alright with that or do you need more context?
    Oh, and is it wrong to say "point with the head"?

5. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I wouldn't say it like that. I would say "indicating with his head" or, better, "nodding toward" ... As for the lump, hmmm. A lump is usually a protrusion caused by something beneath the surface. For instance, if you make up the bed with a kid or cat in it, then you would have a lump.
    Is the dress folded up? Wadded up? In a bag?
    "Bulto" reminds me of a joke I just heard, cómo jugar a la aduana ... XD

6. AramHan

AramHan Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish -Argentina
    haha, no, the dress is "stretched?" (estirado sobre la cama); the girl has just waked up (she's in her bed), the dress is "stretched" beside her, or at the bottom of the bed (it's a large bed) and everything is dark so she only sees a "bulto" or something. That's what i meant.

7. panzio New Member

italy
    italian
    My thread has got the same title, so i reply to this one... is it correct?
    Anyway, who does remember the song titled "Lump" by "The President of the USA"?
    The chorus says: «She's lump». What does "lump" mean in this context?

Please, correct my english if you find any mistake...
    Thanks

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

If AramHan's dress were spread out on the bed, it wouldn't be a "lump." ...
    And panzio, check Urban Dictionary, meaning 4:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lump
    "a large, useless girl that (sic) adds nothing to the conversation and is used for sex ..."
    (not at all a common term)
    The song seems to be using it as her name or nickname.