l'un

paulochine

CHINA CHINESE
hi,everyone!
My problem is why there is " l' " in those sentences:
Je viens de parler avec l'un des architectes qui travaillent ici.(=I just talked with one of architects who work here.) //
Son armée fut ravagée par la peste,quand l'un de ses hommes trouva une boîte dans des ruines.(=his army was ravaged by a plague after one of his man found a box in the ruin.)//
Peut-être sur l'une des cartes mères.(=Maybe on one of the motherboards.)//
It seems to me even without the la or le,those sentences are perfect,but since they are here,it must be a reason.Thank you very much!

• Stefan Ivanovich

French
    Ce L n'est pas nécessaire pour le sens.

Il est ajouté par euphonie (euphony).
    It certainly is useful in that it allows you not to wonder whether you have to pronounce a liaison between un and the word before it.

Using it is a bit posh, but no one will frown, I guess, if you let it out.

jessica78

English USA
    It is there simply to make it sound nice.

For example, if you want to say

I think we should wait.

Je pense qu'on devrait attendre. This is correct.

Je pense que l'on devrait attendre. This is also correct, a bit nicer though because it eliminates the "qu'on" sound, which I've been told sounds too much like the word "con", or ass.

So you will sometimes hear/read l'un when 'un' seems perfectly sufficient.

Hope this helps.

BMR

France
    Ce L n'est pas nécessaire pour le sens.

Il est ajouté par euphonie (euphony).
    It certainly is useful in that it allows you not to wonder whether you have to pronounce a liaison between un and the word before it.

Using it is a bit posh, but no one will frown, I guess, if you let it out.

Wo, so I'm a bit posh !
    I frown ... ;)

Grop

français
    L'article défini "l'" est optionnel ici, mais il ne le serait pas s'il désignait vraiment quelque chose de défini:

Dans la phrase "Je viens de parler avec l'un des architectes qui travaillent ici, il s'appelle Pierre." cet article défini me semble plutôt utile.

paulochine

CHINA CHINESE
    L'article défini "l'" est optionnel ici, mais il ne le serait pas s'il désignait vraiment quelque chose de défini:

Dans la phrase "Je viens de parler avec l'un des architectes qui travaillent ici, il s'appelle Pierre." cet article défini me semble plutôt utile.

Sorry,I don't really be able to speak French,so I guess Grop said:
    The definite article " l' "is optional here,but it will not be it if it really designate something of definited:
    In the phrase "I just spoke with one of those architects who work here,his name is Pierre." this definite article seems to me more usefull.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Am I right?