lunglike vacuum bags

< Previous | Next >

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Does the bold sentence mean "these vacuum cleaners sometimes work similar to lunglike vacuum bags, and they sometimes also have holes that suck the air in addition to the holes that blow the air"? But, It should have said "they sometimes also have holes that blow the air in addition to the holes that suck the air", because vacuum cleaner usually suck the air and only a few models of them can blow the air too.

Text:
Koons, moreover, has built sexual puns into his displays of vacuum cleaners which are ‘invariably presented so that the hose protrudes from the front midsection of their bodies’ and where ‘these respiring machines, sometimes lunglike vacuum bags often also bear orifices that suck in addition to holes that expel air.’ (Art and Advertising by Joan Gibbons)

• VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I think a comma is missing:

‘these respiring machines, sometimes lunglike vacuum bags, often also bear orifices that suck in addition to holes that expel air.'

= ‘these respiring machines, (which are) sometimes lunglike vacuum bags, often also bear orifices that suck in addition to holes that expel air.'

Uncle Jack

British English
    For a vacuum cleaner to suck air, it must also blow or expel the same air from some other part. Its purpose is to collect dust, not to compress air.

There is no such thing, so far as I know, as a "lunglike vacuum bag". What I expect the writer means is that they are sometimes in the form of vacuum bags (presumably bags used in vacuum cleaners, but this is not clear; to me a "vacuum bag" is something used for vacuum sealing), and that they are lung-like (in shape, presumably). There is nothing to say how the machines work. Apart from sucking and expelling air, the entire description seems to be about their appearance.

I agree with Vic about the comma.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    For a vacuum cleaner to suck air, it must also blow or expel the same air from some other part. Its purpose is to collect dust, not to compress air.

There is no such thing, so far as I know, as a "lunglike vacuum bag". What I expect the writer means is that they are sometimes in the form of vacuum bags (presumably bags used in vacuum cleaners, but this is not clear; to me a "vacuum bag" is something used for vacuum sealing), and that they are lung-like (in shape, presumably). There is nothing to say how the machines work. Apart from sucking and expelling air, the entire description seems to be about their appearance.

I agree with Vic about the comma.
    The writer is introducing this property of vacuum cleaners (that they have inhaling holes in addition to exhaling holes) as another sexual property of them. But, how can this be sexual?

< Previous | Next >