Lures/ Touts / Entices/Attracts by Luxury

apoziopeza

slovak
Hello,

how can I make this literal translation sound real English?

I want to say that the city has more and more premium hotels and places such as congress centres which attract more and more visitors

The Capital City Lures/ Touts / Entices/Attracts by Luxury
it is a headline in press release

Thanks a lot,

Apoziopeza

• Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi apoziopeza,

It all depends on what idea you want to get across. Each of those words has a slightly different connotation. One place to start would be to look at the definions in the WR dictionary:

1. The late hour and warm temperature lured the soldiers into a false sense of security.

2. The product was touted as a revolutionary breakthrough. (Pace WR dictionary.)

3. That rich dessert was so enticing I could not resist.

4. Moths are attracted to flames.

Does that help at all?

Packard

USA, English
    Bratislava features amenities that rival the best that Europe has to offer. It has 5 star restaurants and hotels, moderate temperatures (but, alas, no beaches).

El escoces

English - UK
    "By luxury" sounds a little awkward. Better to say "Capital city uses luxury to entice visitors".

I think you could use any of attract, lure and entice to signify the temptation idea you are seeking to convey (there you go, tempt is another good one).

If you want to use tout, you have to do so slightly differently: Capital City uses luxury to tout itself to foreign visitors, for example.

Loob

English UK
    I wouldn't use "tout" - the connotations, for me, are all wrong (see the WRF dictionary definition).

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Bratislava features amenities that rival the best that Europe has to offer. It has 5 star restaurants and hotels, moderate temperatures (but, alas, no beaches).
    The thread starter was precise in the first post. He/she said this was to be a headline.
    Any good editor would look at the suggestion above, and scream, "We need a headline,
    not an encyclopedia!"

El escoces

English - UK
    I wouldn't use "tout" - the connotations, for me, are all wrong (see the WRF dictionary definition).
    Word Reference definition B2, tout: to advertise in strongly positive terms. I see nothing wrong with using this, I think it's perfectly common in BE.

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    This type of article does not require the same formal type of headline like a "hard news" article would. A certain amount of interest provoking informality can be used.

I am tempted with something like this:

[Location] Boasts Bragging Rights to Best of the Best...

Then go on to pinpoint what the location has to offer.

Loob

English UK
    Word Reference definition B2, tout: to advertise in strongly positive terms. I see nothing wrong with using this, I think it's perfectly common in BE.
    I agree that it's common in BrE - I just wouldn't buy anything anyone was "touting". I think the dictionary entry, taken as a whole, illustrates the connotations rather well ;)

El escoces

English - UK
    I think advertising, in the sense of Word Reference dictionary definition B2 quoted above, is wider than advertising for sale. Touting something for sale has a slightly negative connotation, I agree; but things can be touted in a positive way. A film studio might tout a new film, about to be released, as one of the best movies for years; London probably touts itself as the cultural capital of the UK, and I'm sure Las Vegas touts itself as the gambling capital of the world.

So I think to tout oneself (assuming a city is able to tout itself, or do the representatives of the city have to do the touting?) is apposite for the headline apoziopeza is seeking.

JamesM

As El escoces says, "by" seems like the wrong preposition. I would use "with":

The city lures with luxury :tick: :tick: (I like the alliteration)
    The city touts luxury :tick: (but not as glamorous, it sounds a little tawdry)
    The city entices with luxury :tick:
    The city attracts with luxury ??? (Attracts sounds odd with no object to me)

El escoces

English - UK
    Hello James.

If "attracts" suffer from the lack of an object, doesn't "entices" also? But on the other hand, this is a headline, so I would say you could get away without a subject in either case.

< Previous | Next >