Luxembourgish: "achtzeg" and "uechtzeg" (80)

סייבר־שד

Spanish - Mexico
I recently started studying Luxembourgish, and I just noticed that the word for the number 80 ("achtzeg") has the variant "uechtzeg".
I looked it up on the LOD online dictionary, but it only lists it as a variant without going into more detail.
Could anyone please tell me if its usage is limited to specific cases or it's just a matter of personal preference?

Cheers.

• merquiades

PA
    English (USA Northeast)
    For what it's worth, the Lëtzebuergesch method I bought in Luxembourg uses "uechtzeg".
    There are several video series online, check to see what they say. Check "apprendre le luxembourgeois"
    There is a difference in dialect but I believe both would be understood by native speakers.

Last edited:

סייבר־שד

Spanish - Mexico
    For what it's worth, the Lëtzebuergesch method I bought in Luxembourg uses "uechtzeg".
    There are several video series online, check to see what they say. Check "apprendre le luxembourgeois"
    There is a difference in dialect but I believe both would be understood by native speakers.
    Yes, I'm currently using both the LLO.lu app, as well as the "Schwätzt Dir Lëtzebuergesch" coursebook, and they both seem to favor achtzeg, as well.
    Oh well, I can't say I don't like the idea of having uechtzeg as an alternative, without fear of not being understood. Nothing against achtzeg, but uechtzeg just has a special charm to me. :D