luxurious elixir

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Andrew1980, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Andrew1980

Andrew1980 Senior Member

I was given a text to translate concerning skin care paroducts and can not understand exactly the gist of the word "luxirous" when it comes to cosmetic elixir. What word can replace this word, what is its synonim

The elixir is so luxurious it does not leave a greasy film on your skin. Wali is free from allergenic perfumes and noxious ingredients. It enriches your skin with valuable caring essences without clogging the pores. Your skin can finally breathe freely while it rejuvenates and recovers overnight. By the way; all elixirs of Blue Hawaii have been blessed on Maui sacred earth by the Hawaiian Kahuna (shaman, healer) Bejamin Cordero.

What luxurious has to do with leaving the greasy film on the skin??

2. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

I imagine they are referring to the quality of the moisturizing ingredients. Inexpensive moisturizers use very heavy, greasy ingredients that feel very greasy as you apply them.

3. Andrew1980

Andrew1980 Senior Member

So in other words I can restate it as: "The elexir composition is so rich that...."

4. JamesM

Well, you could, but you would be losing some of the original connotation. "Luxurious" here says more than simply that the ingredient is rich in texture. It also implies it is expensive because it is of the highest quality. To me, it leads you to think that you will be indulging yourself if you buy this product because you are purchasing something expensive and extravagant. I have no idea how that would be translated. :)

(The word "elixir" itself is very unusual and associated with fables, fairy tales and legends. It is not a common word at all. The writing is deliberately flowery.)

5. Andrew1980

Andrew1980 Senior Member

thank you very much, JamesM!

6. djmc Senior Member

France
    English - United Kingdom
    Elixir is normally used of a substance which is either eaten or drunk as in "elixir of life" which when eaten gives eternal life. It is not normally rubbed into the skin. It sounds as if the original writer did not know this when he chose the word.

7. Andrew1980

Andrew1980 Senior Member

it's Hawaiian English or text from Hawaiian someting like this

8. JamesM

I think it's written in the language called pure marketing hype. ;)

9. Andrew1980

Andrew1980 Senior Member

Quite so!:)