Luxury appeal

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Lulu978, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Lulu978

Lulu978 Senior Member

italiano
    Hi, everybody

I need to translate a text about sunglasses, but there is a sentence that I don't understand very well. This is why I need your help.

The sentence says that "within the collection, a tear-drop pilot style for Sun stands out for its contemporary and luxury appeal." I have understood the general meaning of the advertisement, except for those two words at the end of it... :confused:

Can you, please, explain me in other words what "luxury appeal" mean?

Thank you very much

2. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    I wonder if you have left out the word glasses between Sun and stands here.

I don't need to tell you that tear-drop pilot is a common style of sunglasses - tear-drop for the shape of the lenses, pilot for the image transposed to the wearer by the glasses.

Luxury appeal means that they appeal to those who like luxury - wearing these glasses will make people think you have just stepped out of your Ferrari.

3. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    You would not write "sun glasses", would you? The usual term is "sunglasses". That "Sun" is written with a capital suggest it might be a maker's name. But it could simply be a mistake. Certainly "sunglasses" would fit.

It seems to me that "look" may have been left out after "contemporary".

4. Lulu978

Lulu978 Senior Member

italiano
    Hi,

I'm sorry, but the transcription is right, in my text appears only "Sun" (and I suppose it stands for "sunglasses". In another part of the text there is "The collection includes five shapes for Sun and Optical") and "contemporary" is related to the word "appeal" as I have written above. Maybe it is a particular "strategy" used for advertisement, I don't know...

Anyway, I understand now Thomas Tompion, thank you for your explanation ;)

And thank you Edinburgher: I think "contemporary look" is what I have to translate.

:)

5. ewie

ewie Senior Member

Elsewhere
    English English
    :rolleyes:

For me, Mr T, sunglasses only come in two varieties: broken and not broken.

6. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    OK, so "Sun" is treated as a quasi-proper name, the abbreviation of a category name. This is pretty terrible. After all, sunglasses and "optical" glasses are not mutually exclusive. In BE we refer to the latter as "prescription glasses" (i.e. the lenses are shaped to correct a vision defect), but not all sunglasses are non-prescription. Only those for people who don't need correction (or who already wear contact lenses) are. My sunglasses, for example, are "optical" (and pilot-style, as it happens).