1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

lys (pronunciation, prononciation)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Gwan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Comment est-ce que le mot 'lys' se prononce? Parce que j'ai toujours entendu dire 'lee' (pas de 's' au fin de mot) - parlé par les anglophones, c'est vrai... Mais mon dictionnaire donne la prononciation 'lis' (ainsi le 's' est prononcé). Qu'est-ce que on dit?
    (Veuillez m'excuser ou corriger mes erreurs et merci pour votre aide.)

2. livvie Senior Member

Bretagne
    Gibraltar, English
    The 's' is pronounced. The poor anglophone was probably not aware of the exception to the rule!

3. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    I think anglophones are pretty much universally ignorant of this, at least in my experience. I should know though, I used to live by the river Lys! Thanks, that's been bugging me for a while.

4. suzanne joy Member

France
    U.S.
    In the US it's pronounced "lys"...

5. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    In French, the final ‹s› of lys is normally pronounced, but it may be silent in the expression fleur de lys. Both pronunciations are also correct for English fleur-de-lys. English speakers who say it with a silent ‹s› (who I think are in the majority) may be ignorant of the current French pronunciation, and French speakers who say it with a pronounced final ‹s› (who are also in the majority) may be ignorant of the older French pronunciation.

There is no reason to assume that le lys (the flower) and la Lys (the river) necessarily have to have the same pronunciation, but it is also unsurprising that they have now converged.