más abajo

Tadeo

Español (México)
Hi!!!
Today we had a discussion in class, we are translating, some legal documents and we found the following phrase in a criminal's statement:

Le dije mira más abajo
Now the problem is that it is not mira abajo de (look under...) It's just like mira más abajo.

The context is that the person is already looking downwards but the criminal wanted him to look even further down so he ordered: Mira más abajo.

Now I'm asking this in the grammar forum beacuse when translating the sentence we all had different opinions, actually we weren't sure of the idea in Spanish:eek:.

Now; I ask your help to identify wich of our options were wrong, right, or even senseless.

1) Look lower (this sounds like something looks lower than other thing)
2) Look downwards (we actually considered this one)
3) Look more down (completely discarded :rolleyes: )
4) Look further down (We used this one :thumbsup: we all agree it fitted better)
5) Look downer ( we discarded this one because downer???)

This last one is actually the reason of this post, I understand that comparatives are made from djectives right??? But also with adverbs???

I guess tha not with all of them right???
I mean play harder
Do it better

But look downer??? I'm not a native and even so it sounds awful!!!

Well, I'll apreciatte any comments.

• Redline2200

English - United States
    But look downer??? I'm not a native and even so it sounds awful!!
    Well your ear is getting closer and closer to that of a native then, because downer is not a word (and sounds absolutely atrocious at that).:)

#3 and #5 don't make sense so they are out.
    #2 makes sense, but I wouldn't use it because he was already looking down; it sounds repetitive if it is already known he is looking down.
    #1 and #4 both sound good to me (I would personally go with #4 though) because they convey the feeling that he is already looking down.

sendai

USA/English
    Well your ear is getting closer and closer to that of a native then, because downer is not a word (and sounds absolutely atrocious at that).:)

#3 and #5 don't make sense so they are out.
    #2 makes sense, but I wouldn't use it because he was already looking down; it sounds repetitive if it is already known he is looking down.
    #1 and #4 both sound good to me (I would personally go with #4 though) because they convey the feeling that he is already looking down.
    I agree. I personally would have said "look down lower", but that's very informal English.

BTW, downer is a word, though obviously it doesn't fit in this context. http://m-w.com/dictionary/downer

Redline2200

English - United States

Christian

USA English
    It's a transcript? Obtain the voice tape. Should there be an exclamation point? (!)

The accurate English translation may well be "Don't look up!"

That is, all of the translating choices may be too literal.

You must ask yourselves what the criminal meant in English--not the words he said in Spanish.

Loob

English UK
    I think the choice is between

*look lower down (ie a variant of 1 with the addition of 'down')
    and
    *look further down.

The answer depends on the context.

"Look further down" implies that there is a list and if you take your eye further down the list you will find the thing you're looking for (maybe the name of the real criminal?).

"Look lower down" *could* have the same meaning. But it could also have a more physical meaning. "You are looking at the wall at eye-level. Stop that! Look lower down!"

Hope this helps

Loob

Tadeo

Español (México)
    Hi!!!

......., I understand that comparatives are made from djectives right??? But also with adverbs???

I guess tha not with all of them right???
    I mean play harder
    Do it better

But look downer??? I'm not a native and even so it sounds awful!!!

Well, I'll apreciatte any comments.

Thank you all for you time and answers; one more thing:
    What abou this???

< Previous | Next >