Más "cornas" da el hambre

• Sallyb36

British UK
    [QUOTE=Lebasi;1596764]Mas cornas da el hambre = el hambre da mas cornas, no?

I have no idea who Manuel Benitez el Cordobés is, so I might not be getting it at all.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I don't know who he is either!! ;) Am assuming that he was/is a bullfighter.

Bronte

Spanish Cantabria Spain
    Mas cornas da el hambre = el hambre da mas cornas, no?

I have no idea who Manuel Benitez el Cordobés is, so I might not be getting it at all.
    Cornada es al cuerno lo que bastonazo al bastón.
    Cornas es como suena la palabra cornadas dicho por un andaluz del campo

Lebasi

Spanish/English
    Gracias Bronte,

¿Qué exactamente quiere decir "Mas cornas da el hambre?"

-Entre mas cornadas mas hambre tienes,
    -El hambre es peor que las cornadas, o
    -algo completamente diferente(?)

Eride

España (Español)
    Gracias Bronte,

¿Qué exactamente quiere decir "Mas cornas da el hambre?"

-Entre mas cornadas mas hambre tienes,
    -El hambre es peor que las cornadas, o
    -algo completamente diferente(?)
    El hambre es mucho peor que las cornadas.

psicutrinius

Spanish / Spain
    cornás (no cornas), is the "andalusian" pronounciation of "cornadas", and yes, cornadas means goring as SallyB36 exactly defines.

Manuel Benítez was a bullfighter, of course, and he came from rather (or rather severely) humble origins (he in fact was barely able to write at his beginnings), and this was a response to a question in an interview (just after he was effectively gored and while recovering, if I recall it correctly) which made him famous overnight in Spain. He kept always very close to the bull, and the question ran something like: "¿No tiene miedo a las cornadas?". His answer was this: "Más cornás da el hambre".

Now, because of the different construction in English, the translation does not convey in full the bluntness of his answer. This would be better conveyed paraphrasing a bit:

"Don't you fear being stabbed by the bull's horns?"

"Hunger stabs you worse".

Euno

SPANISH-SPAIN
    Psicutrinius lo ha explicado perfectamente.."Chapó" por su buena investigación y respuesta..Saludos

< Previous | Next >