métiers d'excellence

ak5873

English - England
Hi,

I'm translating something about a tour of various arts and crafts places in France. I need help with "métiers d'excellence" in the following:

"Une invitation à la découverte de métiers d'excellence".
Trades of excellence sounds rubbish to me.

If you have any ideas at all...!

Last edited:
  • Merpero

English-United Kingdom
    Hello ak5873,

I really had a good think about this, and it seems to me that "trades of excellence" does actually sound OK! I can't think of anything better myself. Perhaps that's why no Francophones have yet answered your query, because your existing translation is fine. Of course, I could be wrong about this, perhaps there is a better translation.

Merpero

English-United Kingdom
    It would perhaps be helpful to hear from someone who knows a little about the terminology of Arts & Crafts. I wonder whether such expressions as the French "métiers d'excellence" and the English "master crafts" each mean a precise thing, or perhaps you can just use them in a general way to suggest that the articles made have been produced by people who are really good at what they do?

A Master Craftsman is someone who has reached the top of his profession, and thus, we assume, is capable of working to the highest possible standard.

Thus, I suppose we could say that someone who practises a "métier d'excellence", is very probably someone who we could call a master craftsman, and thus, we could also say that such a person probably practises "Master crafts"

Anyway, apart from all that "Mastercrafts" does have a nice ring to it, and it suggest work of a very high standard, which would probably attract a lot of tourists, since many people enjoy seeing the work of extremely skilled people.

Are there any "crafty" people out there who might wish to comment?

Merpero

English-United Kingdom
    Having seen genevaCH's comment, it seems to me that "métiers d'excellence" is very probably an expression thought up by a marketing person, who is trying to use effective language to promote the tour.

Thus, we can assume perhaps that the person who wrote the article is not using the precise terminology of Arts and Crafts. So, I suppose that you don't have to worry about using exactly correct terminology either! Just do as the writer has done, and use language that romanticizes it all a bit, and makes it sound generally very skilful,for example "master crafts".

I could be wrong about this though.